1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a FFM dive buddy!

Discussion in 'Organised Diving Trips' started by kingo1984, Aug 4, 2019.

1. kingo1984

kingo1984 New Member

I have recently made the plunge to the world of ffm. Currently using the ocean reef neptune g divers mask. Looking for people living close to Manchester who fancy doing bits in the UK when poss? Also maybe the odd couple of abroad trips thrown in on the cheap.
    Currently going for my rescue diver Padi cert.
    The ideal candidate will be 5.4/female and look a little like Kate beckinsale! However anyone can jump on.
    I'm 34 Male from Manchester.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Thought ‘FFM’ was some sort of dating acronym. Had I known, I wouldn’t have clicked.

NickPicks likes this.
  3. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I was at Capernwray yesterday - I didn't see any FFMs or Kate Beckinsale look-alikes :whistling:. There are various BSAC clubs around the area; mine is South of Manchester in Hartford - might be worth asking them whether they have any FFM devotees - fairly sure, none in mine.

4. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Have you got a plan for if you need to share someone’s gas? This is the typical downside of a full face mask. It’s not that common but you really ought to have some kind of plan and practice it.

5. kingo1984

kingo1984 New Member

Its standard to carry a ordinary mask as back up when using a Full face. Simple cross over to someone else's air supply in the event of any issues.
    I did the course with padi.
    I honestly can't see any downsides to ffm use.
    Its much safer and gives a dive a whole new level of excitement. Especially when being able to talk freely.
    It's just a bit pricey atm

6. Nile

Nile New Member

I don't see may benefits to having a FFM.

If you go out of air you now have to remove both your mask and your reg just to get air. Adding to an already stressful situation.

No simple or easy way to do any gas switching.

If anything goes wrong with your regulator you can't just borrow or swap out a spare as it's integrated into the mask.

Your mask is attached to your kit, so after a dive it's still going to be around heavy done kit untill you take your kit apart. Or you have a quick disconnect on the mask and an additional point of failure.

Other than a warmer face, what do you get from a FFM?

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Didn't know that.

Which Full Face Mask do you have? I know these are extensively used by commercial divers, even the "cheaper" FFM's (i.e. not Kirby Morgan helmets!)

8. kingo1984

kingo1984 New Member

I'm using the ocean reef neptune g divers mask. Absoloutly awesome bit of kit if I'm honest. The problem I have found is that most people won't even entertain the idea because of price. In total with the addition of a SAV, quick connect flexi hose and comms unit you are talking the best part of £1100, and that's entry level!
    As far as pros and cons I can honestly say after diving both I much prefer the FFM for the following reasons.

Pros

The ability to fully communicate with buddy or boat
    Warmer face during cold dives
    Zero fog!! and I do mean zero
    Much better visibility
    The ability to breathe through your nose if required

Cons

As mentioned above if there is a issue with your airx you basically lose both Air and vision at the same time. This can cause issues over the traditional mask/reg combo as with the latter in the event you lose air you will still have visibility and Vice versa, making a air change easier and more practical.

They are expensive.

All that being said tho, the padi FFM course teaches you to safely switch gear in the event of an emergency. Like I said having a back up regular mask with you during each dive is standard.
    It's a case of removing your ffm and admittedly with little vision taking either your own back up reg or your buddies! Once you are safely with 02 it's only a case then of putting your backup mask on which we have all done during the early stages of training.... I do understand the scepticism to more seasoned divers. However! The 3 people that I have let try the mask for themselves 1 of whom has 25+ years of diving behind him loved it. But all stated that it was too big of a investment to Justify.
    For me however (mr impulsive) I went head first like I always do and havent looked back since. Now if I could only find that slim blonde with the same impulse and buddy up with her I will be set.

Wibble likes this.
  9. kingo1984

kingo1984 New Member

I would add to this tho.... that if I am reef diving the shallows upto maybe 10-20m these are and always will be my first choice.
    Beyond that getting into 30-60m I would most likely go with the traditional method. But that's just a confidence thing on my part and the fact that I dont have a trained ffm buddy to dive with yet. Hence the original post.
    Most of this comes down to personal preference. But let's face it commercial divers don't use them because they are unsafe! They are used for full communication and to make life easier for them.
    Maybe give one a try and see what you think.
    The anti fog for me has to be one of the best features tho. We go down there to see and explore and with these you get to see everything without any issues. All the while having a laugh with your mates.

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I've never really thought about it having dived the 'standard' mask with reg and necklaced backup reg and backup mask in my pocket for most of my 7 year diving career. Simplicity is the main benefit, unless diving with a helmet which makes mask removal more difficult.

I guess with a FFM you plumb in deco gasses? This would be a quite different NoTox deco gas switching process to the check tin and depth and swap regs. Especially when there's multiple deco gasses involved.

11. kingo1984

kingo1984 New Member

Yeah I would have to agree with that. Using a switching block is the preferred method. I dive independent doubles that way and have had no issues to date. But theres still time