1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

long hoses and short hoses

Discussion in 'DIR Diving' started by Dan Payne, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Dan Payne

Dan Payne Active Member

Just wondered which ones you bought.

I was looking today as just gone and bought the wife a set of atx4/ds4 combo and a agir single gauge.

Basically my setup again!

Anyways. While doing that I was looking at what hoses to replace on mine. Apeks hoses are around £38, however dirdirect are about £19. This is for the 1.5m.

Just wondered if there would be any difference between the apeks and dirdirect ones. Or do you guys choose something different completely?

2. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Firstly, by a 2.1m one not a 1.5m its not long enough to get 2 divers, one behind the other, in an OOG scenario.

DIRDirect is fine.

3. Col__M

Col__M Active Member
    UKD Supporter

ATX49/DS4 pair for me but went with the miflex 2.1m option for the long hose. No issues so far, but only used on 10 dives so can't offer long term opinion.

4. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The Miflex/Apeks braided have been known to be a bit more 'springy' than a traditional rubber hose when bent, in particular underneath the light canister and around the back of the head. Personally I would go for a rubber hose.

5. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I had a 2.1m Miflex and changed it recently for a normal rubber hose. The Miflex was a bit "floaty" so didn't always stay where I wanted it.

For single tank, no overhead, diving 1.5m is fine.

6. Dan Payne

Dan Payne Active Member

Cheers for the replies guys. Once I'm back from sharm I will get some ordered up then.

The 1.5m vs 2.1m was something I was contemplating.

7. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

I've had a 2.1m Miflex and Rubber, I preferred the Rubber on Backmount Twins, but prefer the miflex on my sidemount kit.

Although 1.5m might be ok, i'd go for the 2.1m, the purpose of the long hose is to be able to get out of a restricted area, a wreck for example where one diver needs to be behind the other, 1.5m is unlikely to be long enough. Although you may not be considering this eventuality right now, do you want to get a year down the line and then have to buy again?

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

If diving without a battery canister the 1.5m hose fits under the arm without excessive slack. This would give you most of the benefits of a long hose & necklaced backup without the hassle of finding something to tuck the surplus hose behind.

This is probably better for single cylinder warm water non-overhead recreational diving such as the Red Sea.

9. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Why not tuck the 2.1m in to the waist band of the harness?

I tend to object to the last statement. There is almost never a situation where the last bit actually happens, especially in the Red Sea. A recreational dive can include some penetration. Not always granted, but, 2 examples could include the Scylla in the UK or Ghannis D in Egypt. Without a 2m hose, serious encounters could occur whilst trying to exit in an OOG scenario.

I may be biased, but after having done long OOG exits both here & the abroad during my cave training, even with a 2.1m hose I was still kicking my buddy. A 1.5m hose is not an option.

furryman likes this.
  10. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

I've ditched all my Miflex hoses.

I try to find the Beaver hoses as they seem to be more supple. Just cut the giant hose protector off. And I mean Giant!

11. Dan Payne

Dan Payne Active Member

2.1m May well be the one to get then. I don't have a canister torch yet but should be able to loose it somewhere, like my harness waist band.

As there are a few wrecks down here I could penetrate and cave/swim throughs then it may well be better off, even with the single tank.

12. Sidemount_Stu

Staff Member

I put a pair of shears on my waist harness and used that to loop under, but i have a long body, so struggled to get the hose to remain stowed under my waist belt.... but many manage that quite successfully.

13. Sidemount_Stu

Staff Member

Just seen this and thought you might like to see..... check out 1:33 in and you'll see exactly how the long hose is routed across the front of the chest and tucked nicely into the waist band....

14. Dan Payne

Dan Payne Active Member

Cheers stu. Will give it a watch when I get back home later :)

15. Dan Payne

Dan Payne Active Member

I see what u mean.

Definitely need to practice my skills after watching that lol.

Sidemount_Stu likes this.