1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liverpool Diver.

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Gary Castelli, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Gary Castelli

Gary Castelli New Member

Hello everyone,

Am Gary a 52 yr old diver, Ive been diving since the late 80s but only in warmer waters or UK Summer (yes that one weekend we get thats nice). I have just joined my local dive club City Divers an decided it was time to buy a drysuit and brave the cold. I passed my course last weekend at Eccy Delph and loved it. Looking forward to chatting with you all and making some new friends.

2. splinter

splinter Active Member

Hi Gary.

Welcome aboard. Have fun diving in the UK. It can be rewarding and frustrating in equal measure, but it's well worth the effort.

Tim

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

3. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Welcome Gary
    We are heading towards Manchester before long so will be looking for a club. I'm in the process of taking the BSAC Sports Diver switching from PADI AOW. Like you, I've done most of my diving in warmer places but decided that I wanted to dive in UK too, so got the gear (well, phase 1 anyway!). Let me know what City Divers is like, please.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Welcome Gary.

It's great fun but made possible with the use of drysuits and decent undersuits, especially in the winter.

5. Gary Castelli

Gary Castelli New Member

My

6. Gary Castelli

Gary Castelli New Member

I bought a D1 Hybrid drysuit and used it yesterday at Ecclestone Delph. I only wore a thin base layer underneath and was warm as toast. Water temp was 9.

7. Gary Castelli

Gary Castelli New Member

They seem very friendly so far. Good mix of ages.

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Excellent:)

If it's your first drysuit you'll need to practice in the shallows, particularly ascents as you've now two lots of buoyancy to control. No great difficulty, just getting used to getting the gas out on demand. Most of us had grief in our early dives with a drysuit.

Gary Castelli likes this.
  9. pgarrish

pgarrish Member

Hi Gary, Eccy is our local site so we (me and the wife) might see you there - hopefully we'll be there this friday bobbing up and down in my new drysuit trying to sort my weights! Its not the best site for visibility, Capernwray is better overall, but its quieter and smaller which can be good for not getting lost :)

Gary Castelli likes this.