1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Light for Me Servicing

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Demmy, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Demmy

Demmy Member

Hi folks i've been away from the forums for quite a while but i've got a question...

I've recently had to send my LFM 4Tec back to LFM in Poland for repairs due to accidental damage. I have used their online returns system and have had some contact from them, agreed price for repairs but since payment for the repairs was sent about 2 weeks ago I've had absolutely no communication back from them, despite several emails sent by me to clarify timescales, etc.

Has anyone on here ever used LFM for repairs or service?

The service seems fairly shocking to be honest and i'm really disappointed, i've got to be honest it's put me off buying anything from them again at this point - I just wondered if anyone had similar experiences or has any ideas for further contacts etc???

TIA

2. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Did you buy from a retailer? Ask them to step in?

Even if not, I'd happily ask somewhere like DIRDirect to hassle LFM as I've spent enough with them to warrant a little assistance.

I was contemplating buying an NW7 last year but instead purchased a Focus - a good part of the decision was due to their bad customer service rep.

I've subsequently made the mistake of purchasing gear from a firm with an equally poor reputation, so will never be making that mistake again!

3. JimmE

JimmE New Member

I sent my torch back this year for a fault that turned out to simply be some dirt in the connection - my bad.

I had heard before I bought the torch that they could be a little slow on service, so I kept on top of them but finally found the best response from a text message to the service manager... got an update on the ticket just a few hours after that.

I get the feeling they are a little short staffed on the service side.. which is a shame as the products are good and when you do get hold of someone, they seem to know what they’re doing. I suspect they might just not have dedicated service staff.

Let me know if you can’t find the number and I’ll PM it to you... but I must have found it somewhere public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Demmy

Demmy Member

If you could PM me the number they would be brilliant, I’ve tried literally all the other options and I’ve not had anything back at all for over 2 weeks!

5. JimmE

JimmE New Member

Done :)

Demmy likes this.
  6. Demmy

Demmy Member

7. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Their UK rep is Anna Dubb who can be found in Faceache.

Demmy likes this.
  8. Demmy

Demmy Member

Sadly I’m one of the few who doesn’t use said face ache! I might see if Mrs D can give her a shout on FB.

Cheers

9. Demmy

Demmy Member

Final update in case anyone searches this post in the future...

Light finally turned up this week - 6 weeks after repairs completed and paid for... apparently they closed completely for about 5 weeks over Christmas. Nice job if you can get it!

Torch is now perfect and repairs done to a high standard - but communication and customer support leave a lot to be desired!

No reply to any of my emails, texts or FB messages... quite disappointed with that honestly

10. JimmE

JimmE New Member

That's a shame, especially as one of their 'sister companies' is launching a new dive computer which looks interesting... cheaper equivalent to the Shearwater/OSTC type computers, similar market approach that they took with their torches. It was released for general sale to the UK just over the Christmas/New Year break, I hope that's not been a 'distraction' from maintaining their existing business.

(I've no idea how many of the team actually work for both businesses... but they seem to belong to the same owner/part of the same group)

Demmy likes this.
  11. Demmy

Demmy Member

Yeah, I saw that too. They also seem to be looking at a CCR rebreather. Maybe you’re right and they are just very busy - which would have been perfectly fine IF they had just replied to my emails or calls to say as much!

Hey-ho. Never mind. They did do a cracking job if the repair to be fair to them

12. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Where necessary, I'm happy to pay a reasonable premium for goods that come from companies with decent customer service these days.

Demmy and JohnL like this.
  13. Demmy

Demmy Member

I had a halcyon explorer 9 before; very expensive but when I did damage it it was repaired and returned inside a fortnight, which included it going to the USA!!!

I agree and this has put me off paying for big ticket items from smaller concerns... huge shame as it’s a great piece of kit; just soured by this experience

14. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Doesn't take much to answer emails or the phone though, even for a small firm.

Demmy likes this.
  15. Demmy

Demmy Member

Agreed!

16. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

There is only really a couple of them who do all the work for tecdiving which is the parent company. This means they do get busy unfortunately which I know can be very frustrating.

In terms of the CCR stuff, they provided all the original electronics for the X-CCR before they went over to Shearwater so this is nothing new.

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk

17. JasonP

JasonP Member

But LFM are quite a bit cheaper than the competition. I'd heard similar stories before but given the price, I still bought one.

Computer looks interesting especially given the price hike of the OSTC with full software:
    https://shop.divecomputer.eu/en/home/8-divecomputereu.html?SubmitCurrency=1&id_currency=1

18. JimmE

JimmE New Member

Yes, I was in the same boat, had heard about issues and weighed up cost vs risk etc, and decided to go for it anyway.

When I did have to send mine back last year, although I had to do a little bit of chasing, it turned out to only need the plug contact cleaning :)oops:) so once they'd looked at it, it was sorted and sent back pretty quickly.

I nearly ordered one of the computers over new year, before I remembered I still needed to pay for my new drysuit! Also I've not yet seen on the website any details on downloading dive logs from it, so not sure if that's been implemented yet.

All in all, I think I'd take the risk again.. given that their stuff seems well built, and it's almost half the price of a Perdix, for example.

Demmy likes this.
  19. Tewdric

Tewdric Member

LFM is a small operation and it's not surprising they get busy. Personally I'd rather their technician spent time fixing torches not answering endless queries from impatient customers. If you want gold plated customer service pay more and buy a torch from a bigger outfit, but you'll pay quite a bit more for the privilege.

Demmy likes this.
  20. Demmy

Demmy Member

Yeah thanks for your sage advice. I don’t think in all good honestly that 6 weeks without so much of an acknowledgement is reasonable in anybody’s books. But thanks for your own perspective and opinion.

The original thread was was about anyone else’s experiences so I could judge if I was alone or amongst many... the end post as to add a result for those searching on here.

Some people added helpful perspectives and opinions; there was no real need for your post. But thanks for looking.

RD