1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Light for me, DIY cable replacement??

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Jason D, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Jason D

Jason D Member

I would like to put a longer e/o cord on my RCA to e/o cable, has anyone done this themselves? Do you know if the rca gland requires new parts on it, or if its 100% re useable?

Attached Files:

2. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

I have repaired a LFM cable but it was a total ballache.

The strain reliefs on these connectors are crap (the entire product line is crap TBH) and the cable had an internal short. As the owner is quite short herself, she was happy for me to have a go at fixing it by removing a section of the cable.

It was successful but it's not something I'd ever want to do again. I only agreed to help out because LFM seem to have abandoned supporting their customers and she needed it repairing.

Caveat emptor!!

3. Jason D

Jason D Member

I have changed my cable for a longer one today, and will use it on a small battery (just in case) over the weekend, to try it out and hope it doesnt flood the battery. It was a pain in the arse, but if it works itll be worth it.

4. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Good luck!

5. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

6. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

7. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

I certainly wouldn't give them another penny. They deserve to go bust.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

It's almost suicidal of that company. Good value products that works well, but totally screwed by their awful customer service.

I spent 10 months chasing them for a repair to a battery and 4 months to get them to replace an umbilical cable.

They now seem to be rebranding; maybe to bury the reputation?

---

Regarding your repair; how did you dismantle the RCA connector? Brute force? Did they glue it together/pot it?

9. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

What are they rebranding as?

I made the mistake of buying their computer from dive computer.eu. I raised a ticket with them in August when it got stuck in bootloader mode. They have yet to reply. All they had to do was make 4.0 of the software available, but they couldn't even be bothered to do that. I've since been able to fix it because they brought out 4.1 but they don't know that.

And there's a guy on a Facebook group I'm on that says he asked about his free upgrade to the hardware in June and they haven't replied to him either.

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Think it's something like light-for-me.com has this message
    The .global (bollocks to that egotistical domain suffix - reminds me of a complete shit-head manager I used to deal with) has the same stuff but with no content.

I've got one of those old dive computers too! Thankfully bought a Shearwater -- 'cos that works and my life depends on it!

11. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

Just looks like they've got a new domain. All the current torches are on it. Looks like they're now doing heads where you can mount a backup next to the main light, which would be nice in a cave. Still not going to touch them.

Do you find that the computer doesn't give you the same deeper stops as the Shearwater? Or any really.

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Isn't it a thumb loop for the skooter kids? (hold it in your right hand whilst you do something exciting with your left hand)

13. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, that is a thumb loop for slipping the lighthead onto your right thumb so that you can get something out your pocket or something like that. Only really needed if your right hand is already busy like holding scooter handle.

14. Jason D

Jason D Member

It's pretty much a cable gland, but with 3 sections. Nothing glued, but the soldered end was tricky to remove and re solder. Short cable ends after it goes through the fitting, and 3 o rings on the already short cable ends, but if I can manage it, I'm sure many others can too. Just make sure you get all the parts on the cable in the right order before you solder it back up. I had to do it twice.

Was fairly straight forward, and it survived an hour dive at stoney down to 34m.

As far as their customer service, when I bought me Accu heat, it took about 6 weeks to get it shipped, and that was because I said I either wanted it shipped, or a refund. I like their products, and unless I have a complete flood, I think any repairs etc I will try myself before sending back.

Wibble and jps like this.