1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LFM XML

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Harvey-NG, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

Any fix to this, other than buying another brand?

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Wash your kit after being in salt water and then dry it afterwards.

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I rarely wash mine and I don't have problems. Maybe yet, but thus far it all seems OK.

I've no problems recommending LFM and Ammonite - I'd buy exactly the same again.

4. AndyW

AndyW Member

To be fair, mine spends far too long in the back of my van between dives. It hasn't caused me enough problems to wish that I had paid £500 more for another brand though.

5. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

I’m very pleased with my LFM NW7. However it seems I’m not alone. My 11ah battery canister is being attacked by corrosion. I think it’s where it’s come into contact with the stainless frame of my CCR

Is there anything I can do to slow it down ? Clean up and hammerite paint ??

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Isolate it with a 'sock' to stop the differing metals touching? Could be a bit of plastic, electrician's tape, etc.

7. AndyW

AndyW Member

If its caused by the differing metals, then painting might make it worse unless you do a really good job of it. If you leave a small area unprotected, or chip it, then you'll have the same current flow between the two but it'll be acting over the smaller anodic area. You'd be better covering any of the stainless that it might contact with.

My CCR frame has gaffa tape between the ali and stainless bits. Might be a bodge but it seems to work

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Or, taking a boating approach, add a zinc anode!

NickPicks likes this.
  9. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

Cathodic protection for torches. We need a kickstarter project!

Dave Whitlow and Wibble like this.
  10. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Sometimes the obvious and simple answer is the best answer!

I've used Agir and Light Monkey, and even Halcyon, with no trace of corrosion.