1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LFM XML

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Harvey-NG, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

I'm thinking of buying a new backup torch and the light-for-me xml seems like a good option. Only issue is it comes in two different varieties - either standard which takes 3 C batteries and has a burn time of 2 hours, or a mini version which takes a single 18650 rechargeable battery. LFM don't post the burn time of the mini version because it depends on what batteries are used.

Does anyone have any experience with this, roughly how long does the mini last with a decent quality 18650 and is this a better option than the standard?

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

My girlfriend has the C cell version. We figured this was better for us as you can get C batteries anywhere in the world. Having said that 18650’s are more common now with the rise of vaping.

3. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

If its a backup get C cells version, re-chargeable cells have a severe drop off in the discharge curve, so at a certain point the light will stop working. Non rechageable will have a much more graceful burn down. x

Harvey-NG likes this.
  4. splinter

splinter Active Member

I've got the c cell version, for all the reasons given above.

I've not had it that long, 4 months or so. I've used it on a few dives and the stated burn time seems about right. I had been impressed with it so far, it's bright with a tight beam. Mine packed up on a recent dive. My primary wouldn't turn on (loose connection to the battery) so tried my backup and nothing. Had to borrow a buddies backup.

I sent it back to underwater explorers and I've just got it back fixed (quick turnaround, only sent it to them on Wednesday, came back today). I've not had chance to dive with it yet, but it's working fine in my garage.

5. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Did they say what the problem was?

6. splinter

splinter Active Member

All they said was it was a fault with the back end of the torch. They replaced the faulty bit under warranty. I suspect it was a bad connection with the contact, as when I tested it with fresh batteries before sending it off there was a very faint glow from the LED.

7. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok, good. At least the found a fault and did something

splinter likes this.
  8. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

C cell version it is then.

splinter likes this.
  9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

And you can fly with a C cell torch without worry - if they take your batteries it's just a few quid to replace anywhere, 18650s are harder to source (especially good ones).

10. Tewdric

Tewdric Member

I have 2XMLs strapped to me every dive I do and they have been very dependable and reliable. ,

11. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

Also have C Cell version. Great torch nice tight beam

12. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

My next primary will probably be a canister from LFM, they're not too pricy and seem to be very well reviewed

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

My cannister LFM's are great. Have a 4Tec and a NW7. What I really like about them is being able to rely on them to work.

Harvey-NG likes this.
  14. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

:eek: Not my observation. LFM lights seem to dissolve quite well in seawater (galvanic corrosion really works) and servicing is funny (if you aren't the owner).

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Interesting as mine really have been very good and look in pretty good shape. I've only done about 300 dives on the 4Tec and it's showing some wear, but nothing untoward. The NW7's got about 100 dives on it and looks new.

Wibble LFM torches - small.jpg

(Strange how the photo's upside down) 'Scuse the messy garage table.

16. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

300 dives but how many fresh and how many salt?

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hmm, good question. I think mostly salt, probably 2/3rds to 3/4trs. And a lot of those in the chalky saarrff which is alkaline(?)

18. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

Is this really a LFM specific problem? Surely seawater corrodes everything metal if you don't rinse it immediately after a dive?

19. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

For completeness, the Ammonite backups. The smaller one's done over 400 dives, the larger one over 250. They rarely get rinsed off as they're almost permanently on my dive harness(s). As they're dry cells (AA in the smaller, C in the larger), they work when required. They also work well on the surface.
    Wibble - Ammonite torches - small.jpg

20. AndyW

AndyW Member

The LFM seem to be particularly prone to it. Mostly due to the material choices. In a perfect world, the anodised aluminium and stainless components are relatively resistant to corrosion in both fresh and seawater. However, the anodised layer is very easy to damage. This will cause see localised corrosion and pitting develop around the light head.

The goodman handles are the worst, if the stainless screws are removed and refitted a couple of times it seems to wear the anodisation enough. Do this and you'll get VERY quick galvanic corrosion, especially if the kit is left damp. Half of my handle dissapeared over the course of a couple of weeks.

The good news is that I'm using it as a case study for the Corrosion module of my MSc... if anyone has any ropey looking LFM torches, feel free to send me some photos!

Harvey-NG likes this.