1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latex Neck Seal On A Dry Suit

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Bernard Bonfiglio, Mar 14, 2011.

1. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

if
    If your neck and hair is wet then avoid the talc, I usualy help my son get his neck seal on for the second dive. If your neck seal goes on easily then it may be a bit lose but that as well as moving your head about would normally leak on both dives. Unless your more relaxed on the second dive and do actually move your head more :).

2. aquanaut

aquanaut Well-Known Member

I Had a latex neck seal and always folded it over 1/4" or so. I never ever had a leak regardless of how much i moved my head . What i felt i was doing was using any pressure in the suit around the neck to help keep the folded over section pressed against the skin , so when moving the head the air would help press the latex into any small gap that may have opened and now not allow that little ingress of water. The Q of talc on wet hair /skin is simple use a towel to dry both before you put the suit on.

Jenkins likes this.
  3. Jenkins

Jenkins Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

I use lube on my latex neck seal as otherwise I find it chafes my neck (literally read raw after multiple dives in salt water), I also find the lube makes it incredibly easy to site the seal flat (run your fingers round inside) with no creases or trapped hair.
    (vet lube is way cheaper then KY and if anything does a better job)

Currently I am finding if I use talc on my wrist seals I get a (mostly) dry dive, but if I don't talc they leak :confused: No idea of the logic to this (I never used to bother with talc) but if it keeps me dry......

Regarding a leak around you chest it your inflator vave secure? In neo suits you need to keep checking they don't come loose as the suit material compresses. I had several leaky dives (getting progressively wetter) untill I realised the glue holding my valve in place was starting to fail and letting water in.