1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop question

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by ScubaDiva, Jul 8, 2009.

1. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

So yesterday my dell laptop suddenly died. I noticed that the light had gone off on the power cable so thought it might just have not been charging and ran out of battery. Borrowed another cable today and the laptop starts with it. Problem now is that the battery doesn't seem to be charging.

Does this mean I need a new battery and cable or is there something I can do to fix it?

2. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

The lead you borrowed did it have a power pack / charger if so swop just the lead and check fuse in yours if not
    Get a new power pack

3. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

By power pack do you mean the rectangular bit in the middle of the lead?

4. Air-Guzzler

Yes M

I never had you down as

[​IMG]

5. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

Erm . . . I don't know what that means. :(

Anyway I changed the fuse in my plug yesterday but that didn't help. Which bit of the lead should i swop the bit near the plug or the bit near the comp? :huh:

And yes I am not technically minded!

6. RachyBaby

RachyBaby Member

Can you borrow the battery from the friend that loaned you the cable/psu? As you have it working on a borrowed power supply i'd say that your existing PSU has broken but as its not charging the battery i'd suspect maybe another fault too (one caused another probably). If it still wont charge a borrowed battery with the borrowed PSU then its time to replace/send off for repair as something on the laptop main board will probably be broken :(

7. Air-Guzzler

you have a pm

8. Stephen Mitchell

Stephen Mitchell New Member

Failing that, try pouring tea/coffee/other on it while plugged in and switched on. Call insurance company and blame kids/partner/pet for knocking drink over.:tongue:

(not really that would be illegal!!!)

9. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

Yes i suspected that 2 things were broken. AG just sent me some instructions to test my cable. Will do it when I go to shut down cos at the moment if I pull out the cable it instantly shuts down!

Its been grumbling for a while - getting really hot quickly and the like! Also its being a bit slower than I want it to be and grumbles at multiple apps - especially when photoshop is open. I want one of those Dell Mini things or equivalent. :D

10. O2 Steve

O2 Steve New Member

oohhhhh naughty!!! When all she had to do is give her club mate a bell (the one with all the professional accreditations) who would type up a letter to the insurance company and hey presto cheque in post....

O2 Steve
    MCSE, MCP, CCNA, MBCS, AMRGS (and soon to be CISSP & CITP) ;)

11. Flyingspanner

Flyingspanner Well-Known Member

Overheating and slowing down sounds like a blocked heat sink.

Mine was the same, It was frightening the amout of crud I removed from the heat sink after I stripped the laptop down.

12. RachyBaby

RachyBaby Member

Yes they do collect a scary amount of crud. I've had to clean my old laptop out a few times. Unfortunately for M, it seems to have gone beyond cleaning the heat sink though as its got to the point where its actually failed :(

13. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

That sounds very impressive Steve - es[pecially the O2 bit. ;) Erm . . . what do they mean? :cool:

BTW - I think any insurance co. would be v. surprised to get a letter since it isn't insured! :lol:[hr]
    Nope I think there is hope. All the time the other night when I was typing this thread and it was plugged into a borrowed PSU (see how technical I'm getting) it was flashing that it wasn't charging. When I went to shut down I unplugged the cable and it decided that it had in fact charged up 100% after all. So anyway I just bought a used (but working) cable off of ebay and am waiting for it to arrive.

(I still want an nice sleek, small netbook though - what make and spec was the pink one you were sporting Rach? I do like the look of the Dell minis.)

14. RachyBaby

RachyBaby Member

Thats good news then. In that case take the advice given by Flyingspanner and clean out the heatsink if you've found it to be regularly overheating.

Its a Samsung NC10. Its an Intel Atom based netbook the same as the vast majority of others with a 10.2" screen and 1Gb RAM, WiFi, camera etc etc etc. I chose it a) because its pink and b) because the keyboard layout is better than some other netbooks i've tried.

15. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

What is it and where might I find it?

16. RachyBaby

RachyBaby Member

You'll need to do a little dismantling to get at it. It will probably be towards the back left side somewhere. You'll see a lump of metal with fins on it with a fan blowing air over it. Both it and the inlet/outlet vents/filters will probably have loads of dust in them which you need to get out.

17. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

Am ging to PM you a pic of the back of my laptop to see if I have identified the right bit!

18. Snuffy

Snuffy New Member

You need to get out more. ;)

19. O2 Steve

O2 Steve New Member

I need my boss to cough up for more training!! :D

M - you'll find the your laptop is covered on your household policy ;)

20. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

Steve when I say that I don't have insurance I haven't got one of those either! :eek:hmy: