1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lanzarote Dive Sites for a New Diver?

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by Liv, May 9, 2017.

1. Liv

Liv New Member

I completed my Open Water Course and Dry Suit course a few months ago and am going to Lanzarote in the summer! I would love to go diving there and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations! I'm staying in Playa Blanca if that's more useful :D Thanks!

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

There is plenty you can do around there. Go and see the guys ar Rubicron diving and they'll sort you out.

3. Liv

Liv New Member

Thank you so much!

4. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

http://lanzaroteesd.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/guia_esd_buceo.pdf

Don't say I never do anything for you! :)

(If you're really lucky - you'll find a hard copy for sale in one of the tourist information places, if stocks haven't finally run out - it's been out of print for a while i think)

I've dived with Dawn Dives academy in the south - Sarah who runs it is lovely.

5. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Or you can ask me and i'll post you a copy for free, well not quite, will want cost of postage :)

And for a great Lanzarote outfit that will be Calipso Diving of course :)

Lanzarote has three main dive areas Playa Blanca, Puerto del Carmen and Mala
    (North of Costa Teguise) .

The short version is that Playa Blanca is far West, good, has the museum, but after a few
    days you'll get bored and end up in Carmen for a change.

Carmen is central, pretty much trainee heaven and can also be a bit busy, but big enough to
    avoid others once away from the bay. Still would get bored after a week, which is why those
    here will now go to Playa Blanca to visit the museum or Mala in the north :).

Further East is Costa Teguise and this has a gem in the Temple Halls wreck, although shallow
    the engine room is now accessible and also has atmospheric moon pools which make for some
    stunning pics.

Up a bit on the East side is Mala and without doubt the best diving on the island. It's got pristine
    sites with clean white sand and defined volcanic formations often it's stunning.

#5 Tel, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
  6. Liv

Liv New Member

Haha thank you so much for all the great advice!

7. Liv

Liv New Member

Thank you! I've heard about the Museum, do you know if it is any good? I'm only thinking of diving a few times as I will be on holiday with my family (who can't dive!!), so I wont be able to go as much as if I was on my own!! I think that I am definitely going to try the Museum!

8. sam51

sam51 Member

as a season diver there, 3 times a year, imho, i would book a dive package with wendy at safari diving,
    there is shore diving in the morning, my best sites are , the cathedral, a 30 mt dive, the fish swim upside down,
    you also have red coral, a lovely dive, and the blue hole,
    afternoon the old harbour wrecks, and my faverite riches place,a lovely drift dive,
    musio atlantico is worth diving , i do it before the flora takes overs you can see the detail on the statues.
    mala up north is very good but the access is quite difficult,
    cost wise safari are the cheapest, and the best,
    the museum dive is expensive, its a 2 dive , 1st is the lave tube good dive then museum,
    cost me me 60 euros and 12 euros entrance for the museum.
    hope this helps.

Liv likes this.
  9. Liv

Liv New Member

Thank you so much! This is defo helpful!

10. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah it;s meant to be pretty good and is added to and changes all the time.
    It does close now and again when they install new exhibits, but should be ok.

If you are only thinking of diving for a few days though i'd stick with someone like Rubicon in Playa Blanca.
    Playa Blanca has some nice dives and with the museum a plus. It's also got a lovely natural beach at Papygayo
    that you and the family can easily spend a day at, snorkelling there is pretty good and lots of life to see :).

In a few days you'd struggle to exhaust what you can do there and even if you did get bored then they'd go to
    Carmen anyway, so wouldn't use that as a base.

Liv likes this.
  11. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Did you get booked up then Liv?

12. Liv

Liv New Member

We're not going until mid July, just thought that it would be a good idea to see what others had to say about the dive sites! I'm going to get some more dives in before I go though, as I've only just qualified!