1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ladies look away

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by JohnL, Aug 12, 2018.

1. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

As I'm starting to use the dry suit much more, the vexed question of fluid input and output is becoming important. I got a "convenience zip" with my dry suit, which has proved to be anything but convenient. So, a p-valve beckons. From Nigel Hewitt's rant, I came across the HeWee system https://www.customdivers.com/hewee-go-urination-systems-for-men-712-p.asp
    It looks easier and more secure to use than the "stick-on" arrangements - has anybody used one or seen one being used?

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The pee valve is the second most important invention for diving after the demand valve.

Two bits; the pee valve which is connected to the suit and has a pipe coming out of it. Loads of examples, mine's the Halcyon one, others are available.

The catheter is rolled on to your todger. This is a thick condom with a pipe on the end which you connect to the pee valve tube. It has glue on it which sticks to your skin, obviously it's only got glue on the shaft, not the top. I've found Aquanauts are the cheapest for the catheters at about £3 each.

There's a third part you need which is a removable quick-fit connector with integral valve. One end is attached to the pee valve pipe; the other removable end is connected to the catheter before it's rolled on. When you get dressed in the drysuit -- later on -- you then connect the two halves of the quick-fit connector together; simples. Be careful that you get the one with the integral valve; there's a cheaper version which doesn't have a valve.

In use. Pee. Lots. Prior to diving; drink. Lots. Never be dehydrated again. The first use is odd. Thereafter it makes diving pleasurable as you've never got that annoying "I need a pee" feeling.

When you've finished diving you need to rinse through the pee valve hose *before* getting out of your drysuit. I will stand at the back of the boat or beside my car/at the edge of a car park and use a bottle of water. I take the top part of my drysuit off and whilst still in my legs, I will pull the catheter off of the quick disconnect and flick the residual urine out. Old chap and catheter back in my skiddies. Then I pull the pee valve pipe up and take a mouthful of water from the bottle and blow it through the pee valve pipe. Do that 5 times and blow through. Couple of rinses for luck. Then partially disconnect the quick disconnect which will seal the valve so it doesn't leak into the suit.

When at home I'll hang the suit up and pull the pee valve pipe outside and 'connect' the quick disconnect. I'll blow through just to get some fresh air into the pipe.

Removing the catheter. If you like pain you can peel the catheter off. That hurts. A lot. Alternatively you can use some medical adhesive remover such as Apeel which is like magic. Couple of squirts and the adhesive completely looses its grip.

Catheter sizing. Rochester/Bard will send you a todger sizing template card which you put against your bell-end. If you PM me with your address I can send you one as I get a couple in every box of 30. Needless to say one wonders about the sizing when you're freezing cold in the winter and your todger's doing a tortoise impression. However, the right size is vital.

I never dive without plumbing in.

HTH

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  3. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

I've never had a problem with the conveen stick on system, although 12 dives in and it still feels a bit weird letting go whilst dressed, and I still havve that "Is it working?" feeling when doing so.

Coloplast (the makers of conveen) will send you a trial pack of 5 or 6 free to test. you can apply for a sample on their website, although they'll then phone you up to discuss your "problem" (most users are for incontinence, but they do understand they're used for diving too).

Edit: The samples they sent me were "short" which fit OK, but I find the "regular" easier to get off as there's a lip to lift up and squirt the adhesive remover under. The first one I took off before I got the apeel hurt a bit and left a bruise!

4. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Used the hee wee. Switched to using conveen catheters. The hee wee ain’t very comfy and prone to slipping off. Catheters aren’t perfect but far more successful. If your finding the need to pee a p valve is the way to go. I think convenience zips are a bit dated now.

I use the O3 advanced p valve which works great.

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I've only ever used the Rochester/Bard catheters. 250ish dives and haven't had a leak (yet). Piss for England, but not had a leak. They have a reputation for being 'sticky' which is absolutely fine IMHO!

6. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

On the Conveens the short section of hose to push the connection tube up is a little too long so needs trimming back - two notches for the Halcyon QD, one for O3.

Nothing in diving is ever, ever, straight forward.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The Rochesters are a little too long and need about 8mm trimmed off the top

8. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

I've used both Convenes and Rochesters and have never trimmed them. All that is required is to push more tube onto the quick connect fitting so it bunches up.

Whilst using the correct size is best, with a bit of careful positioning and tugging, :eek: it is possible to use smaller sizes of Rochesters.

As for quick connect fittings, the ones with the one-way valve are a biohazard in waiting and are best destroyed with fire and replaced with the simple pass through variety.

9. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

I like them & find a simple rinse through with clean water at the end of each diving day does the job, coupled with the odd flush with some sort of sterilising fluid.

10. Dave Whitlow

Yeah, I liked mine too, until the day life intervened and I didn't get to wash it through. A week later, when I connected, I discovered the little treat it had saved in the pipe and a new way to lost 3kgs in 3 days and destroy a mattress in the process.

Later, when I examined the factors leading to that illness, I concluded a pipe that drains is a much better solution. I like to learn from my mistakes, and where possible, will advise others to avoid them too. If you prefer a solution with a nasty twist then feel free.

#10 Dave Whitlow, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  11. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

That sounds rather nasty. Like many things though, if I fail to clean and maintain my kit I expect to pay a price.

12. Dave Whitlow

Yep, it was. I concluded kit with a built in failure mode (non-return valve), for no significant benefit, was not required. Quick disconnect however is a great idea and I wash it through (almost) every time with the reassuring thought that, should I fail to do so, some horrid future will not be lurking in my suit.

13. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

So, summing up, I want:
    a balanced p-valve, to avoid a squeeze where it would hurt
    a quick connection, no one-way valve
    use a wide sticky condom, size is important
    get an Appeal spray to remove said without pain
    adopt good hygiene practices every time

Seaskin, my dry suit manufacturer, offer a Light Monkey Tinkle Balanced p-valve and an £8 fitting charge* (together with p&p both ways of course)
    http://www.seaskin.co.uk/acatalog/Light-Monkey--Tinkle--Balanced-P-Valve-DEE001_35_100_004.html
    Anyone got views on this one?

* Don't tell me that I can fit one myself easily, it would only end badly :hurting:

14. nickb

nickb Active Member

The Light Monkey valve is very good

15. Dave Whitlow

All good. Although the correct size is helpful it is but not critical (I've used three sizes successfully, two being smaller than ideal).
    A bit of trim every so often is all you need, and not being hesitant in removal. I have never used chemicals.
    They are good p-valves and are best fitted by the dry suit manufacturer.

16. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

With this I agree.

17. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

Oh, yes. By hygiene practices, I assume you mean flushing out the tube/valve, and chucking some milton / dettol down it once in a while.

Also "hygiene" related, try not to get pubes in the glue. The best way to do this is a light trim once in a while. Do not use Veet for men!

18. Dave Whitlow

:eek: if you ever think that might be a good idea then read the (eye-watering) reviews first. If it still sounds like a good idea then please post your review here first! :D

19. Dale Martin

Dale Martin Member

The one with the frozen sprouts is a personal favourite

20. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Reading through those reviews, I realise what a sheltered life I've led. :wtf: I won't be looking for any depilatories, for sure.