1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack Of New Divers

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by pitdiver, Oct 30, 2019.

1. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

Hi remember me?

Although I haven't dived for sometime I still occasionally dip into this forum to see what's happening. It doesn't seem much. No mention of the recent dive show and no new divers wanting advice. Is this indicative of Scuba Diving becoming less popular.
    Secondly now flights to Sharm will be beginning again is anybody considering taking one. Mrs PD is champing at the bit to go out there again but unfortunately we kave already booked next years holidays and on top of that we are planning to move house, So that will be a be a stumbling block.
    Mind you looking at the prices tha Camel Dive want to charge for the ordinary shore dive in addition to the price of a Scuba Review. I think it may be better if we stick with our trip to Orkney in the Spring and our sailing trip in Sept.

As a matter of interest I tried to check on Ocean Colleges website but that is under reconstruction Oh well perhaps I will never get to Sharm to what Mrs PD makes all the fuss about.

2. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

The Dive Show was small and I still managed to spend loads of money. I bought SWMBO a new 7l twinset and wing and me a sparkly new torch.

NAS' (Mark Beattie-Edwards') talk on the London Shipwreck was great and it was good to learn about the ancient Greek wrecks you can now dive from some of the centres on the islands.

BSAC conference was genuinely really excellent!

I can't really comment on new divers seaking advice on here but our club is getting loads of new enquiries at the moment.

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

There's a Nexus of several things at play. The internets changes the way we communicate with 'social media' systems taking over from where forums lead. Could discuss this endlessly.

Diving's not unique in seeing a decline in popularity. Seen the same in the sailing world where my club is getting older with fewer younger people joining in. Maybe shortage of money doesn't help; the cost of living's definitely risen for people not on the housing ladder. There's probably other ways that younger people spend their leisure time; internet and the virtual worlds of gaming for instance. Could even be that life's all about wanting results Now! So committing to long training and practice sessions are out.

BTW where's your sailing trip? Given that the market for sailing boats has died -- bolxed by boris -- may well find myself doing more sailing than diving next year!

4. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

Firstly my group of friends call ourselves a sailing club but it is very informal group. We are also finding the numbers are decreasing as we get older. Where we sail, twice a year on the Norfolk Broads, hiring yachts from one of three yards. Hunters at Ludham, Eastwood Whelpton at Upton and Martham Boats at Martham. In addition a couple hire from Colin Buttivant also in Ludham.
    This Sept there were 13 boats in our group. In the past we have had up to 18 out on the Broads.

5. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

No Lack of divers in my club, it's been one of our busiest years ever :)

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

To be fair though it is a university club.

Do you notice a rise or decline in new 'external' members?

7. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

No shortage in our club either - extract from recent AGM report, my emphasis.
    "Since the last AGM we recruited 39 new members and one previous member rejoined. There were 32 diving members, and 7 snorkel members. We have 4 diving members were existing divers, two who had returned to diving and 2 who have transferred from another club, so that makes 28 Ocean Diver Trainees. I fully expect this trend to continue as I currently have the next group of Ocean Diver Trainees lined up for November. All this has not gone unnoticed, as HSAC were the second highest recruiter for members in the whole of BSAC last year and I fully expect us to be somewhere near the top again this year. "

Alex Denny likes this.
  8. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

A rise and it's a common misconception that a Uni club has an auto large membership.
    Many forget that diving is competeing against many other sports/societies and unlike
    in the past where students would join 3 or even 4** at the outset and slowly whittle down to
    a fave, now students are being very selective and picking just the one. This means any
    club has to be good at what they do or good at PR to get them in.

A lot of Uni cluibs struggle despite having a potential pool of members in the tens of thousands
    so a large target audience is not a guarantee of success.

If their us a problem it's the conversion rate for post-grads, which mirrors the conversion
    rate for a lot of divers doing professional PADI OW etc. courses. A lot of divers get trained in
    the UK, but a surprisngly low number carry on to become the UK mainstream.

**A common scam used to be that a weak club would take on loads of members with no intention
    of training them. As students had joined more than one club they simply switched to another when
    week after week nothing happened. As the 'course' had started no refunds and the club pocketed
    the funds. This 'wastage' can be part of the financial structure and weak clubs in the past used it as
    a SOP. It was a very negative practice bordering on fraud and hopefully is not as preveilent as it
    once was.

#8 Tel, Nov 7, 2019 at 8:14 AM
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 8:54 AM
  9. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Not to knock the acheivment, but doubt very much if that statement is correct.

Highest recruiter for BSAC Ordinary Branches maybe, but the 'whole' of BSAC would also include the Special Branches
    of Universities & Armed Forces.

#9 Tel, Nov 7, 2019 at 8:22 AM
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 8:55 AM