1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kubi dry gloves: fitting "heavy duty" gloves

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Wibble, Nov 25, 2017.

1. nickb

nickb Active Member

Handy tip for those that don't already know:

If you do get a glove flood/leak, don't just hang the liner up to dry. Rinse it out thoroughly in fresh water first - it will dry a lot quicker and be warmer when you next use it.

JimmE likes this.
  2. nickb

nickb Active Member

Quick update to this.

I've been using the 'Santi' heavy duty gloves for about 4 years now. I use quotes as Santi don't make these, they just rebrand them and add a huge mark-up. I believe they are made in Bulgaria and, I think, by a company called Tegera.

They are very good, have a nice texture that helps when gripping things, like bolt snaps, with cold hands. They are also very hard-wearing: scalloping for instance doesn't seem to damage them.

The only downside, apart from the high cost, is that due to their composition of pure latex they can start to degrade when exposed to certain solvents or to ozone. Eventually, they can start to go sticky and there seems to be no way to reverse this once it happens.

I have found a much cheaper alternative, although I haven't used them enough to vouch for the hard-wearing quality.

Ansell Alphatec 58-270
    [​IMG]

They're made from nitrile, which is better in many ways than latex. They are also a lot thinner and have a fabric lining which would make drying them a bit trickier and also makes donning them a bit harder when using some liners.

They are probably no more resilient than the Marigolds that a lot of Kubi owners use but they do have a nice grippy texture.

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I had these on my Northern Diver gloves. Cheap, but not as cheap as the Marigold G17k. They're about the same thickness as the Marigolds but somewhat harder wearing as they have a cloth backing. However, they will leak. I changed them 3 or 4 times in ~80 dives.

Not sure they'll fit on the Kubi rings though as the cloth backing would need you to reverse the O-ring so that the 'outer' smooth surface is in contact with the metal ring. (Unless someone's got a cunning trick) This is fine for the ND seal, but not sure for the Kubis.

4. nickb

nickb Active Member

I've done it with my Waterproof Ultima rings. Takes a bit of brute force but once you have the knack it's straightforward.

I'm pretty sure the Ultima glove rings have a larger diameter than the 80mm or 90mm Kubi ones.

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Oh, that's another point about the Anstels: they don't stretch as much as the latex(ish) Marigolds. So might need to tweak the glove mounting point (e.g. the taper on the wrist)

6. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Take a look at this video

To make it easier you need a helper ring (or rings - I use two, so does Daren, you use one inside the other, either to guide the two together or give extra rigidity for the outer ring)

I have a slightly different variation on the video I have cut up a 750ml clip lock round storage container from Sainsbury's - This works for kubi 80mm gloves, you would need something bigger for 90mm + rings - Daren uses down pipe. I don't place the helper ring over the the glove ring as in the video, I butt then together. It's takes a few goes to get the knack but it's fairly straight forward whe you do. Cant post pic from here unfortunately x

Ps it's Christmas ;) x

Wibble likes this.
  7. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Becky sent me that vid yesterday and using it I managed to fit Showa 660 (Smurf gloves) to my new Santi system. I used a bit of cardboard tube as the ‘helper ring’ but could do with something longer lasting.

Just need to get a rough idea of what size I need and then go on the scrounge

becky9 likes this.
  8. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Just a quick run through of some photos, forgive some of the roughness, I will put together a pdf with more information and descriptions - there are caveats and some tips to make it easier when making and using. It was still a bit on-going but I've been really busy with the GUE-UK christmas bash. x

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

splinter and Wibble like this.
  9. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Btw if you are looking at the inner ring and thinking wtf is that shit inside, well I originally had the ring open but it wasn't so good. So I glued it together, that failed so I changed the glue, then plastic welded about 4 times until I though bollocks and dumped a load of molten plastic in the middle... I'll elaborate more when I write up the PDF x

10. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks ideal. I'll measure up my diameter I need then go to Sainsbury's/Poundland/Tesco

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

@becky9 - that's really useful info, thank you.

becky9 likes this.
  12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Dived in Wraysbury for 100 minutes in 6 degrees of water on Sunday; first outing for the new heavyweight gloves.

To recap, they're the "Heavy Duty Textured gloves" from Kubi. They look as if they started life by being longer and have been cut shorter for the Dive market (literally cut as the edge is slightly crooked.

Bloody brilliant! Much warmer and totally dry at the end of the dive. Even though my core temperature was dropping by the end of the dive, my hands were fine -- strangely my feet were getting cold!

There's a slight reduction in dexterity, but they're such a good fit it's not really an issue.

There's quite a lot of reduction in feeling through the gloves, so subtle things like reaching around for your dump valve string was a bit of a pain. Probably a subtly different technique required.

Was really impressed and very happy with them even though they're a sod to fit.

Would imagine that the Showa (a.k.a. Smurf) gloves are just as good.