1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kubi dry gloves: fitting "heavy duty" gloves

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Wibble, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I've bought a pair of the heavy duty gloves for the Kubi system instead of the easily torn Marigold G17k gloves.

Problem is I can't fit the damn things on the gloves. The 'outer' ring won't fit over the thicker gloves when rolled around the glove o-ring. Tried lube (Fairy), brute force but to no avail.

Has anyone successfully fitted thicker gloves? How? Does Kubi make a larger (inside) diameter outer glove ring?

jps likes this.
  2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Becky has the standard blue (Showa 660) gloves on hers.

3. nickb

nickb Active Member

Becky's a can-do woman. Wibble only has 50% of those attributes.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I bought the gloves off the Kubi importer at the dive show. Hoping that someone, anyone has fitted them.

Good to know that Showa gloves fit even though I assume they'll be a sod to fit as they're 'furry' on the inside.

5. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

I have the Santi heavy duty gloves on my Kubi rings. They have excellent grip and are spacious enough for nice thick liners.

6. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

+ 1 for the heavy duty Santi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

8. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

I fitted mine in exactly the same way as the marigolds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Yes, me too. It did require being quite forceful and I may have used some lubricant to ease the ring into place.

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hmm. Thanks.

The thicker gloves mean there's about 4mm radius difference with the "Marigolds". The outer ring needs to be put on straight, a lot like levering a tire onto a rim.

Will re-visit this. Think I might try three G-clamps to force the ring down over the glove.

Supplemental question, not just Kubi owners...
    Have you ever managed to break/tear/cut/pierce the thicker gloves?

11. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Post some pictures, I can't understand why you are having problems.

I've put santis, marigold emporers (quite thick!) and showas on mine. Yes its tougher to get the security ring on but a little but of lube does wonders when its tricky.

Are these the ones that look like the santi gloves?

oh yeh managed to rip them all, none of them are indestructable.

x

12. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Only other thing I can think of is the Marigold emporers are tapered towards the wrist and you need to make sure you get some tension in the glove - so get the ring closer to the wrist, this tension/stretching of the glove will thin out the rubber somewhat.

I know some people also use the thinner O ring thats used for the seal (ie that plugs into the ring on the suit) - this is only really practical if you have a spare set of O rings as the thicker O ring wont work as a sealing ring to the suit- it becomes a nightmare to get on and off. x

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Thanks @becky9 - it's the thick O-ring which is too thick to get under the outer ring with the additional double thickness of the glove, i.e. the glove goes under and over the O-ring thus making the diameter about 4mm wider.

I don't have a spare set of O-rings but I'll get a set and try again.

They're the 'Santi' gloves - rough textured surface and smooth at the wrist.

14. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Initially don't spend the money on a spare set just for this (although having a spare set is recommended!) you can try it, just try the O-ring from the suit seal side and see if it works better for you, if it does then job done.

I've not tried the kubi supplied 'santis' although I have seen them briefly in the shop at ndac , I have no idea if they are completely identical to the santis, but I have seen other people with the same type gloves that aren't santi supplied on kubi rings. The 'santi' santi ones(!) are harder to put on than g17ks but do work.

x

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Thank you :)

Firstly tried swapping the two black O-rings over. Fitted the thick gloves but the outer ring was a bit loose. Put the Kubi ring around my mouth and blew.... the bloody glove off. Hmmm.

Right then. Try using the red O-ring... glove fitted. Hmmm, the red ring looks pretty much like the thick black O-ring.... maybe I'm a woos. After all if Dave managed it....

Got the pushbike tire levers out. Fiddly, but finally managed it. Yay!

Now to see what they're like in the water as there's definitely less feeling. Damn, that means another trip to Wraysbury!

16. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

I'd forgot about the coloured ones, the red is the sealing ring. The thin black is only for the security ring (to hold it on - it does no sealing) so it would be swapping the thick black for the thick red. However as I said you can have problems if you now use the thick black in place of the red. I.e. Red for black ok, black for red not so. Just try the glove to suit fitting before you decide its hunky dory - there should be less than a few tenths of a mil difference but enough to make it hard to fit them together. If it works great, if not and you only have 1 set of gloves you'll have reassemble from scratch at the site x

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Following your advice I managed to squeeze the thick gloves under the normal rings, so still have the red ring for sealing.

Which under-gloves do you all use under the thicker gloves? I normally use the Fourth Element GL1 thin neoprene glove liners. These are great especially if the outer glove is breached or torn.

18. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Excellent!

I use either the default blue kubi knitted, ok, kubi merino (expensive - buy from elsewhere!) - pretty good, G1s or I have a pair of god knows what I got from halfords. Santi liners are very good, although depending on sizing you may find them a touch tight. x

19. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Was pleased to finally find the knack of getting the outer rings over the gloves. Very similar problem and solution to putting a small diameter pushbike tire on a rim (e.g. a folding bike).

I'm pretty certain that the Kubi-branded thick textured gloves are the same as the Santi ones and that they started life out as a generic long glove which is cut to a short glove.

The G1's definitely fit under the new thick gloves and aren't tight, but it's beginning to feel a little constricted, a lot like the thicker wet gloves. Need a dip in an inland site to check it all out, especially when it comes to groping for the wing dump, SPG clip and attaching stages, etc.

Have you used the Fourth Element Wrist Warmers? I'm hoping that these will work as a seal break and, when the inevitable glove tear happens, they can be pulled out from under the wrist seals so the water doesn't fill my arm... shoulder... suit -- as happened a couple of weeks ago in Dover :drowning:

20. nickb

nickb Active Member

I use Hestra quallofil ski glove liners. In the past I've bought them from Underwater Expensive but they don't seem to have them on their website at the moment.

They are seriously warm (way too warm in water over about 15c) but also retain much their thermal properties when wet. They dry very quickly too and stand up to a lot of washing/tumble drying.

Not cheap - over £25/pair