1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kubi dry gloves - expensive or worth it?

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Harvey-NG, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

Brilliant, thanks!

2. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

I think I must be the only person that has had nothing but problems with Kubi's! And it's BLOODY Frustrating.

I had a perfectly dry set of Si-Tech round rings, but they were so bulky i decided to change to Kubi's. I sent my suit off to Otter (despite it being an O'Three suit) for fitting of the suit side.... and so far, i've never had a dry dive! Clearly something isn't right, but I have no idea what, the suit has been back to Otter who have pressure tested and confirmed there are no issues with the fitment of the rings.... which leaves the glove side.... i've changed gloves, but same problem....

It's largely stopped me from diving over the winter as I have no faith in them and just cannot be arsed with cold hands in winter ruining my dives.... so roll on slightly warmer waters, and then i'll have to have another go..... but I won't lie, they are currently killing my motivation for diving as it means paying for a puddle, to keep testing them, so far with the result of wet, cold hands and an early trip home..... pissing me off somewhat!

I'm sure they're fantastic gloves when they work, and most people don't seem to have the problems that I've had, so i'd still say they must be worth it.... they just haven't been for me!

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Just one or both?

Same recommendation: stick your arm in a bin or bucket and work out what's what. Main thing is to isolate which bit's causing the grief.

Could be too much grease, not enough, cuff caught, O-ring lost its elasticity....

I'd swap the glove side for someone elses to see whether it's the suit or glove side.

Ring Size? Glove types? When was it last swapped over?

Also, stick the ring over your chin and lips and inflate; sometimes, not always, you can hear a hiss from a small hole.

4. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

I think it's the right glove side (but it's now been months since i've checked, so don't trust my memory! It might even be that the connection isn't staying secure, i've and the rings are separating a fraction in water, i really don't know. I've tried some of the normal checks and so far can't isolate the root cause.
    They're 80's, Brand New, so whatever gloves they came with. (Black Marigold type)

I've done this and can't hear anything, i've also tried filling the glove with water, but can't see any water egress

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

If original gloves, I'd suspect the glove.

Mine, when I don't shred them on a wreck, tend to split up by the rings. You need to stretch the rubber to see a tiny hole which lets in a surprising amount of water!

I test them by sticking them on my chin to my top lip and inflating the glove. Blow hard and you can hear a hiss. Other way is just stretch the glove in the inch next to the glove. I've had one go right beside the retaining O-ring too.

TBH if you've never changed the gloves, just do it. They're as cheap as chips and it'll exclude that problem.

Kubi's are generally great!

Sidemount_Stu likes this.
  6. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

Kubi's have arrived. After a struggle getting the ring into the sleeve (even 80's were a push to turn the sleeve back the right way round after putting the o-ring on) it all works. One issue is that with already quite lengthy drysuit sleeves, there's a lot of material bunched up by the rings - the excess from the sleeves and the base of the long gloves. Does anyone cut the gloves, reducing the length from rings to fingertips?

7. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

You need a bit of extra length to ensure you don’t accidentally loosen the seal when you bend you wrist fully

8. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Yes you can cut them, but you might just get away with hanging a bit of the excess of the glove out the front. As long as it not too much, that just doesn't look cool ;) x

9. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Not bothered to cut mine and haven’t had a problem. There’s a little bunching but I’ve never considered it an issue.