1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kubi dry gloves - expensive or worth it?

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Harvey-NG, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

I'm looking to buy a set of dry gloves for my drysuit - ready to move on from having little to no feeling at the end of a dive - and the kubi system is high on my list. From searching through many forums, nobody seems to have many issues with them, as they do with other brands. Are they worth the investment, or will northern diver's system, or the Antares do, given they're significantly cheaper?

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I love my Kubis. They work and work well. Replacing torn gloves is cheap (Marigold G17K - circa £2/pair) and quick (<2 mins)

And welcome to the forum

3. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Used to have Antares, Didn't have one dive where both hands stayed dry. Kubi on the other hand (pun intended) just work. I wear them all year round in the UK and just change the inner/outer gloves to suit the conditions. Check the ring size before you buy, you want the smallest you can sensibly get away with. The replacement gloves are dirt cheap (about £2 per pair).

Harvey-NG likes this.
  4. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Wot he said.

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk

Harvey-NG likes this.
  5. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

Thanks!

I actually bought a pair of Showa 660s off amazon for £5 the other day, with the idea that whatever system I buy, I can swap out the gloves for a thicker and more durable pair - although I have a feeling they might be too thick to fit in the rings.

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Are they the 'smurf' gloves?

Important: Kubi gloves seal on the INSIDE surface of the glove. Therefore you can't use gloves with a fabric liner, such as the Showa 'smurf' gloves unless you jump through enormous hoops to 'reverse' the gloves, i.e. roll them inside. Doable but not easy! Kubi-compatible gloves have a smooth inner surface.

The Marigold G17K gloves are as cheap as chips and come in two colours: black, or turn them inside out, white. I prefer white outers as people can see my hand signals -- the black gloves can be hard to see in dark conditions.

You'll also need something to break the seal between your suit and the gloves so you can get some air from your suit in and out of the gloves for squeeze prevention. Lots of ways, but I'd suggest you use small cable ties pushed under the cuff. THE most important thing is for you to be able to remove these underwater *when* your glove is breached and before your drysuit fills up!

Tip: a little bit of lubrication on the red O rings makes it easier to put the glove on. I just spit/dribble on them. Silicon grease works but soon dries up.

I suggest you do a puddle dive first to get used to them before you do it for real off a boat.

Undergloves: I like the Fourth Element glove liners (GL1?). Not everybody does though. This time of year I use the Fourth Element wrist warmers under these gloves (and under the wrist seal, so if my glove's breached I will need to take the glove off and pull the wrist warmers out from under the wrist seal and put the soggy mess back on as a wet glove)

7. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

You can also use the Marigold G04Y gloves if you like yellow. Same price as the black ones but the attract seals!

Wibble and splinter like this.
  8. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

Damn, yes I didn't realise that, the inside of the glove has a stretchy fabric - I guess those will have to become my new pair of super strong and grippy washing up gloves.

9. splinter

splinter Active Member

Wot they both said.

I had about half my dives with Antares dry. They were fiddly, fragile and unreliable.

Admittedly I've not had the Kubis long, but after a dozen dives I've not had a single issue other than that they can be a bit tight to get off.

10. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

you can use the 660s but they are harder to get on and there are some tricks needed (and an array of Tupperware).

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Lever them off with a bolt snap or belt buckle clasp.

12. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

Well they only cost a fiver, so I'm not too worried about getting them to work, if I can turn the black ones inside out to make them more visible then that will work fine.

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

More importantly you only need one spare glove! I end up breaking my RH glove most frequently.

14. splinter

splinter Active Member

I've been using the harness belt buckle.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

15. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

I'm on version two of the 'off the shelf' helper ring to allow installing Lined gloves on the Kubi Rings..... have used showa 660s and if you want fatter fingers and hence larger undergloves 460s or 490s - albeit you'll need to remove the fleece liner to fit the latter two. As a guide 660s, narrow fingers, 460s, wider - and 490s even wider still. Even better if you get 465s or 495s as the fleece liners are already removable. The '5s' are more expensive though and quite difficult to get hold of.

This is based on Kubi 80mm rings - the lid off one of these is pretty much perfect for doing the job - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N7QM517

makes it an absolute doddle to fit these type of gloves.

Just an after thought, one of the problems with Dry gloves is you do need some kind of air gap, the air in your gloves not only helps prevent squeeze but helps keep them warm. Hence the experience with two people with the same liners, same gloves, one freezing and one not too bad. If the glove is a lot tighter with little air gap its going to be a lot colder.

Edit 2: I'm a convert now to the showas, will never go back to the g17k marigolds x

Harvey-NG likes this.
  16. nickb

nickb Active Member

I thought I was a dry glove nerd but that's some impressive glove research :D

Harvey-NG likes this.
  17. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Lol thanks Nick, Jason's (JB2cool) girlfriend used to refer to us as Torch Club, it now seems to have morphed into Glove Club ;o)

Its interesting because people assume that all showas are the same basic size, when they aren't. Incidentally DUI heavy duty zip gloves are 495s, their orange 'Dexterity' gloves are 465s.

I'm using 460s on my kubis at the moment.

Size for size - you will get a thicker liner in a 460 over a 660 and slightly even thicker on a 490 vs a 460

For example I can get winter Santi Liners in a 460 size 9, whereas there is no chance with a size 9 660. - The great thing about this is finger length is kept in check so you don't have enormously long fingers. x

P.s Need to find my old hestra liners too, but be buggered if I can find them at the mo! x

#17 becky9, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2018
    nickb likes this.
  18. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

If anyone has any links to videos or tutorials on using the tupperware 'mod', I'd love to see it.

19. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

20. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

The tupperware thing on the link wibble is a bit out of date now. It works, but there is a bit of a learning/skill curve to make it work without getting frustrating. The new ring I use, is the top of the Sistema Container in the link above. If you have 80mm rings, buy one now (or two gives you a spare and you can afford to mess up when you make the ring) as I think they are going end of line - (tescos used to sell them, but no more).

I'll make a new guide for the sistema ring - you just need to be happy toting a stanley knife or dremel - and a mini saw of some type - a razor saw is perfect.

Another important Caveat when buying kubi glove sets, is buy the smallest you can get away with. Don't fall into the trap of buying the bigger sizes when you don't need them. If its a little bit of a squeeze getting your hand through the ring - who cares! As long as you can get your hand through the ring witch a pair of wooly gloves on thats absolutely fine. Once through the ring it makes no difference how tight it was!

x