1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knackered shoulder dump - Sitech v Apeks??

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Tribal Chestnut, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Hi folks

My Sitech shoulder dump decided to disintegrate before my dive today, so needs to be replaced.

I’d like to swap it for an Apeks one, however I believe I need to enlarge the aperture through the suit to enable it to fit.

Is it as simple as taking a very sharp knife to it?

Is it a straight forward process to replace the dump valves? 15 min job?

I need the suit fully-functional for a holiday next week, so if going to an Apeks valve is a major faff I’ll stick with Sitech for the time being, but either way I need to get the fucker sorted PDQ.

Cheers!

Edit: mods feel free to move thread to ‘drysuits’.

2. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Just had a proper look and I’m going to stick with a Sitech valve for now, then swap for a proper one at some date in the near ish future.

Kicking myself for allowing me to be talked into running with this shitty valve.

Can the top section of the valve be easily replaced, or does the whole thing need to come off the suit? I’d rather leave the bottom portion in-situ if I can.

I’ll call Otter tomorrow and see if they can advise and supply a new valve quick, but if anyone can offer me some words of comfort that’d be mighty comforting!

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

You were bloody lucky to borrow a spare drysuit on the boat -- especially one that fitted you!

Not changed a shoulder dump but have removed and replaced the Scitech inflator a couple of times (swapping the heater valve out for summer). There's not much to getting them on and off, helps if you've the Scitech tool though. Literally screw them up tight and make sure the membrane's flat.

4. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

I’m going to pester Dennis for an FOC one - there’s no way it should be falling apart after about nine months.

IIRC Sitech’s warranty is 36 months.

Won’t hold my breath for a quick response though, so I might have to get one from a different source and sort with him afterwards.

5. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

I’ve just had a chat with the suit manufacturer and a new valve and the Sitech tool should be on there way to me shortly.

JohnL, jps, Wibble and 2 others like this.
  6. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

A new valve, tool and a little tube of Aquasure were gratefully, and with some relief, received in today’s post.

I’ve removed the old valve, which was easy enough, so all that is now needed is to fit the new one, which looks like a very straightforward procedure.

I must admit that I’m tempted to buy a spare Sitech valve and tool, given how easy the process has been so far, and to save me faffing about with an alteration to the suit.

7. nickb

nickb Active Member

You shouldn’t need a tool. Hand-tight is fine.

Also, do not Aquasure it. It’ll be a twat to remove.

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  8. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

I’ll give it ago without and see how it fares. I can always glue later if I feel the need.

Dismantling did require some encouragement to break the bond.

9. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Back from my holiday and having followed @nickb ’s advice I’m happy to report a dry arm and shoulder and a fully functional dump.

timmyg and nickb like this.