1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kitting up a tiny diver?

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Steve S, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Steve S

Steve S New Member

I took my 8 yo Nephew to do the PADI Bubblemaker in the week, he absolutely loved it, took to it like a fish, as soon as he was in the water n kitted up he put his reg in, went under n was off, the instructor had to keep holding him back lol. Hasn't stopped talking about it since. He made me laugh, I bought him his first mask n snorkel n he wanted to go fill the bath up to try it out. So I guess he's hooked now! lol

I want to enrol him on the PADI Seal Team, the problem is he's rather small and the smallest BCD there was (XXS) kept slipping around him so he spent the entire dive fighting to stay supine. Not that it bothered him in the slightest lol.

I can't seem to find a smaller BCD anywhere, does a smaller one exist?

Then it begs the question as to whether its worth investing anyway as he's likely to grow out of it in a year or two? Maybe? lol

Any suggestions?

Cheers :)

2. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Here comes the most obvious response to "What BCD" on UKD...:D

Get him a one piece harness, backplate and wing. Never has this been a more appropriate response; it will literally grow with him.

Jenkins and Zubar like this.
  3. j_b

j_b Well-Known Member

+1
    Words right out of my finger tips lol

4. Steve S

Steve S New Member

Of course, doh! Fantastic! Cheers guys. I've read about them briefly but never come across anyone using one yet, I'm quite new to diving so a harness never crossed my mind. Or maybe I just haven't noticed any, I'm blind as a :bat:

Off to do a little reading on harnesses and wings.

Cheers guys! :thumbup:

5. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Even if you have to cut a harness very short for him (oops), the replacement webbing to re-build it longer is about £10. And the complete setup is the same price as a low-mid cost BCD.

Look at the Apeks Delux One Piece Harness, WTX3 wing and SS Backplate. (you will need x2 cam bands and optionaly a single tank adaptor)
    DiveLife or GoDive have good prices and I have not had any probs with either of them.

C

6. snowman

snowman Active Member

Nephew sort of implies it's a 'him'.

Not to mention all the references to 'him' ;)

M

7. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

S'alright, they're very impressionable at that age...

8. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

9. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

Or the custom divers sportster wing, although it is more expensive than the alternatives already sugested its what we use or bubble makers and adults. You may struggle to get a backplate small enough length wise but that depends on how tiny he is, and look at small travel wings they will give more than enough lift and ideal for holiday diving just rinse it well after pool use.

10. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

I had the sportster. It was good but done up small it was pushing its limits as its a more complicated harness. Also I found it too dangley.

C

11. DaveS

DaveS Play nice. Enjoy UKD

Northern Diver used to do a 'bubbles' BCD which was a child's BCD. Your LDS doing the seal team may have one that he can use.

12. El Jadius

El Jadius New Member

My daughter is a very small 10 year old. I managed to get her a xxxs BCD by SEAC. It has lots of adjustment and should last her a good few years.

13. slimey

slimey Member

On a similar theme, any ideas where to get a semi-dry for the small kids? Even a Beaver XS is a bit too big for my son, and it is putting my son off completing the OW, as he's getting cold far too quickly.

14. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Haven't the dive centre got anything suitable? My daughter is coming up 12 and my dive club has got BCDs, wet suits and even dry suits that all fit her. For what they charge me to hire, it's not worth me buying.

15. slimey

slimey Member

The smallest they have is the XS semi-dry. My son is very slim, which probably doesn't help :)

16. penderm

penderm New Member

Hi,
    This is very important forum site for blood donation. If you want to donate blood and know about more information about blood donation please click on below given link

Spam but for a worthwhile cause
    - just altered the link to the UK blood donation website ;)

wwww.blood.co.uk

Jenkins

becky9 likes this.