1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just starting

Discussion in 'Underwater Photography/Videography' started by Gary James, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Gary James

Gary James New Member

I have just completed my advanced open water course and would like to start photography any recommendations for courses and decent beginners cameras.

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Get a camera and practice practice practice, ideally underwater but on land too. Also buy Martin Edge's book.

When you say beginner camera, what kind of budget do you have?

3. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Courses- Garfs Bouyancy class. Then more Bouyancy coaching.

The cannon S90/110/120 are a good start. The G something's are also good. The Cannon housings are a good economic start.

And as JB said, practice!

4. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Rebreather .... just sayin :)

5. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

This.
    Then this.
    And most definitely this.

6. Richard65

Richard65 Active Member

Whatever camera and housing you get include the cost of strobes if not straight away but soon. Then become so familier with the controls while it is in its underwater case that you can change settings without thinking about it.

Whatever have fun and no one sees the bad photos (we all have many thousands of those) but unlike me dont hang on to them and clog up your computer with them, for some reason I have convinced myself that I will spend time going though them and id every fish and coral lol

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Start cheap. Learn what you need, then buy later. Underwater photography is about your personal skills in the water, plus your photographic skills. It's often said that when you dive with a photographer buddy, you're diving alone.

The big kit purchase is lighting, particularly video lighting.