1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just ordered a few new bits hehe:

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by woolz, Aug 7, 2008.

1. woolz

woolz New Member

-Mares Quattro Excel fins in red
    - the new Atomic SV2 Snorkel i no ino a lot of money for this but i do quite a bit of snorkeling so i thought it would be worth it.
    -Mares Trilastic Mask Strap Cover
    -Mares X-Vision Liquid Skin mask in black!
    -Mares Trilastic Gloves
    -Mares TriBoots
    - and the new Mares Abyss 42 - thought id treat myself.

cant wait for my next dive now !

2. Timbo16565

Timbo16565 New Member

Hope you enjoyyour diving you should also fill out your bio so we can all read more about you!!

3. Ellie

Ellie Non scene GUE diver

Aaaah, you can't beat retail therapy.....

Did you buy the cold water kit to go with your Abyss?

Ellie

4. woolz

woolz New Member

yes i did buy it but im still hearing differnt stories from many mares suppilies about that! some say dont bother unless your really in cold water ie under 5degrees, most say (-) degrees and some say for uk diving, so i dont know!

5. Ellie

Its impossible to get Mares to commit on the actual temp due to implications of being liable. My LDS reckons its around 10 - 11 degrees. Personally if you are going to use it for UK diving I'd get the kit regardless. Having a free flow due to reg freezing is not something I want to experience first hand. The new Abyss appears to use the same 1st stage as my Proton 42's so you should be able to get the new air filled kit as opposed to the oil one.

Ellie

6. woolz

woolz New Member

yes its the dry Kit CWD that i have ordered- only kit for the mr42 first stage.[/align]

7. Stix

Stix New Member

Good for you Woolz.... :)

Its always great getting new shiny stuff to play with... I love it when its for me. Its not so much fun financing my daughter's kit as I don't get to play with it - but what the hell, she needs to be safe as well!

8. woolz

woolz New Member

yeh new kit is always good!! i really need my own tank i think now! where do you people get yours from?

9. Ellie

Go Dive were the cheapest, but not sure if they have stock at the moment. I got one from there, and one from SDS Watersports, who I think are great to deal with. I even managed to haggle the price down to nearly go-dive prices too!

Ellie

10. Stix

Stix New Member

I go same places as Ellie...

I was at Go Dive last week getting some free air fills and they had some 10s and 15s but were out of 12s. Try calling them or going through their website.

Ellie - sent you a PM

11. woolz

woolz New Member

din valve is going to be new to me- as thats what the aybss comes with. there anything i should know about these valves?

12. Stix

Stix New Member

The big one is location of the "O" ring.... With the clamp type it's on the cylinder valve face as you will know. WIth DIN its on the Reg (and therefore more under your control if you are renting bottles). You will find that DIN is a more positive fit than clamps and, generally, more reliable. That's why it's techie standard kit.

Most cylinder valves are both these days in that they are DIN with an Insert to make them clamp compatible. You will find it useful to keep a couple of Hex wrenches around your kit / dive bag for removing the insert if you need to on rented bottles. Alternatively, get a DIN / Clamp convertor and keep it with you on vacation.

13. Ellie

You made the right choice hun... I'm proud of you :thumbup:

Ellie

14. LpcWookie

LpcWookie New Member

with regard to the Abyss and cold water just stumbled over this review that says in the uk they were supplied with the cold water kit as standard dont know if its still true though.
    Mares Abyss test[hr]
    Also found this one
    cold water test

15. woolz

woolz New Member

oo just had an email from the company i ordered it from saying the mares that are supplied to the uk dont come with din!! dam! looks like im going to have to get a conversion kit.

16. Ellie

Thats a bit rubbish. I think they may be talking pants tho, as my Mares 42 1st stage for my Proton is DIN, and I bought that here in Chelty.

Ellie

17. woolz

woolz New Member

yeh i thought it was a bit strange!!! its directdiving that i ordered it through! do you think you could ring them and ask the same question if the mares comes with din? just see if they say the same thing! cheeky favour i know hehe! 01642486666

18. Ellie

PM'd!

Asked elsewhere, and they come from Italy as A Clamp, then are converted by the importer or dealer.... Well, you learn something new every day...

Ellie

19. woolz

woolz New Member

hmmm well i got a very good price from diving direct because ive ordered a lot of bits from them. i guess ill just have to buy a converter when i get the regs! nevermind! big thanks to ellie for doing that research for me!!!!!!

20. Ellie

If you got them for a fantastic price and you want them as DIN, taking them to any Mares dealer should get them converted, after you cross their palm with silver....

Ellie