1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a best best mask/snorkel?

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Sammym, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Sammym

Sammym New Member

I'm running away to SE asia for a few months. Working in a bank in london again isn't for me.

I'll be diving but also doing some snorkelling out there.

So is there a best one? And is there a best place to get them? I can try them on in a dive shop in Asia but I want something decent which will last.

2. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

One that fits you is the best for you. Snorkel? Just a tube with a mouthpiece, nothing fancy x

3. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

A mask is all about fit, doesnt matter if it's cheap or expensive thats always No1,
    Second on the list is volume. Big eye masks and those you can look down/side have
    a higher volume and that can be a real pain when trying to clear.
    Thirdly and good idea if travelling, is that a frameless mask where the strap is
    attached to the skirt not the frame, means less likely to get busted.

Fit means taking a chance online or going into a dive shop.
    To get a low-profile frameless mask you'll see silly prices, while some of the cheap
    ones last just as long and work just as well.

I used to buy lots of the US Divers Samoa Snorkel sets which ran out at I kid you not
    £15 odd. That was a mask and snorkel set, the mask being a low profile frameless :)
    Have a look at some of the snorkel sets, same mask as what you'd buy off the shelf,
    but includes a snorkel for not much more.

Other options out there, but don't spend loads. I always look on a mask as a disposable
    holiday item. I want good, but I don''t want to hurt if I lose/break it.

4. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

5. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

The best mask is the one that fits your face. Main options are clear or black skirt. Visit a shop and start trying them on in your preferred order (either cheapest first, or the one that makes you look most like a ninja). When you find one that fits, buy that one. Make sure you try it with a regulator mouthpiece in as it changes your face shape.
    If it fits, then as you press it gently in place and then suck gently through your nose, it won't fall off if you let go.

6. Col__M

Col__M Active Member
    UKD Supporter

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

So, buy a mask that fits and isn't too big in volume as they're hard to clear.

Snorkels come in two main types: with or without a drain valve. For snorkelling, as opposed to diving, I prefer a drain valve as it does clear the pipe more easily than a good puff up the spout. The valve can break if you get foreign debris in the valve mechanism. This can be hard to clear as it can be hard to get at.

If you're constantly diving under the water whilst snorkelling, it's probably easier to use a simple snorkel without a drain valve. You quickly develop the technique to blow hard into the tube when you surface and clear the water. The worst thing that happens is you spit out the mouthpiece and breathe.

Obviously the drain valve versions are far more expensive than a simple tube.

8. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Best method for clearing a snorkel after a duck dive is by displacement. Only works with one without a drain valve.

On ascent look up toward the surface and exhale slowly, tada!

9. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Zubar likes this.
  10. Sandro

Sandro Member

There are a lot of different type of masks...I do have a low profile and I like it, my girlfriend got a Cressi F1 which seems a very good mask without breaking the bank. We also both have Cressi Snorkel paid £15 on amazon (so you can't say really expensive....) and they are very easy to clear and are dry, for that price it made sense :)

11. Doomanic

Staff Member

Wow! :eek:
    Is that each or for 2?

12. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Mask - fit is everything. Snorkel - take your pick.

13. Sandro

Sandro Member

Each... £15 is nothing :)

(I compare diving with flying....so most of the time I use the words "it's nothing" :D )

14. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

your money - your choice, but £15 for a plastic tube that'll never get used - I'd buy the £1.99 one from Decathlon and spend the savings on another dsmb. ;)

15. Doomanic

Staff Member

Better. ;)

NickPicks likes this.