1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a Pee Valve worth it?

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Graysyid, Feb 12, 2018.

1. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Despite advice against on the forum, I bought a crushed neoprene suit - I don't regret it as much than if I'd bought a neoprene, but I think laminate would be better.

2. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

I’m biased cos I love my O3.

Their p valves are good , I’ve got the advanced version. I wouldn’t hesitate.

Depending on the suit I’d probably get 2 Velcro pockets from the get go if you want to future proof.

3. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

My Halcyon P-valve flows a lot more freely than my O3. I believe the Light Monkey one is the same as Halcyon, but cheaper.

Regarding pockets, those on my O3 suit are quite small - I can get a spool and medium sized DSMB in one, but not much else. If you’re wedded to O3 make sure that you have large pockets fitted.

4. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ive has my O’Three for nearly 8 years & it’s been a great suit, if not more like Triggers Broom now.

In terms of pockets, I have one of the standard size ones each side.
    Left-2m DSMB & 30m spool, wetnotes
    Right-1m DSMB & 30m spool, 50m distance/emergency spoil, spare mask.
    All on bungee no problems.

In terms of the p valve, I didn’t get one fitted until about 3 years down the line. Would never buy a suit without one now.

Next suit will be an Otter. I’d buy another O’Three in an instant but want a front entry next time.

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk

Graysyid likes this.
  5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Yes, front entry FTW.

Rear entry is just a bloody nuisance. Sure, use your buddy to open it -- if they're around...

6. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

O3 front entry is an option. Apparently.

7. nickb

nickb Active Member

The last time I tried on a front-loading O3 suit was back in 2013 and it didn't 'telescope', which made it very difficult to get into. I don't know if they've changed since then but I imagine that the thick material, even with the 1mm suit), wouldn't lend itself to doing so easily.

8. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Yeah I was looking at either the RI2 -100 or the RI1-100. I was considering Tri-laminate, but was worried about tears. Not exactly tech dive level yet

9. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Yeah I was looking at either the RI2 -100 or the RI1-100. I was considering Tri-laminate, but was worried about tears. Not exactly tech dive level yet

10. nickb

nickb Active Member

What do you imagine you'll be doing that would tear a suit?

I regularly squeeze in and out of wrecks but have never torn a drysuit. I've put a few puncture holes in both neoprene and membrane suits. Patching the latter is always easier and quicker.

The only advantage I know of that a neoprene suit can offer is more insulation but that can be made-up by better undersuit layering with a membrane.

The disadvantages include: harder to don & doff, more weight, longer drying times, harder to find leaks, fewer customisation options. Travelling with them is a ballache.

11. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

I was looking at the RI 1-100, get so many conflicting recommendations on what to get. I'm treating the Mrs to a weekend in Dorset (to visit O3), so will try it on and see if they can do front entry, with a pee valve and large pockets. At the end of the day if i don't feel comfortable, she can't say I don't take her anywhere and I'll continue looking at membranes.

12. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Don’t make you’re mind up until you’ve tried a membrane too.

Maybe pop into DIRDirect as I believe they are not too far from O3 and probably have a good range.

Graysyid likes this.