1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inflator dust cap

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by kevin b, Oct 24, 2018.

1. kevin b

kevin b Member

I am after the dust cap where lp hose goes onto the inflator body does anyone have a spare or know who sells them.

2. AndyW

AndyW Member

3. kevin b

kevin b Member

that look similar but it's for the end of the corrugated hose where the lp hose connects to.

4. AndyW

AndyW Member

Then I've never even seen one of those being used. I can't imagine that it actually protects it from much.
    The fitting is likely the same though between suit and wing inflate

5. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

It's the same fitting (unless you've got a buddy auto air, which is quite a bit larger)

6. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Can you post a picture of what you want. I think I get it but want to make sure.

Why do you want a dust cap for it?

7. kevin b

kevin b Member

8. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

But why? What are you trying to protect your BCD from? Why do you think you need one?

I had one of these on my drysuit and pulled the fucker off as it’s pointless.

If you are anywhere near me you can have my old one

Wibble and Dave Whitlow like this.
  9. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Agreed. This serves no useful purpose. Never had one on a BCD and the one from my drysuit fell off years ago and I've seen no need to replace it.

10. AndyW

AndyW Member

They are completely pointless... but I did give you a link to buy one in post no.2

11. kevin b

kevin b Member

Well I thought it was prudent of me to look after my equipment. Most people use the dust cap on their 1st stage & cover the tank valve opening when not in use. I would rather prevent dust getting in than have equipment failure.

12. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

The first stage has a really fine metal filter inside that you don't want to block so the first stage you may want to look after (I myself use a dust cap on the regs). The inflator on the other hand is a handful or parts (see pic) there is practically nothing to block.

[​IMG]

NickPicks likes this.
  13. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

Is that the lint free cloth and clean servicing environment you've taken that apart on?

Zubar and Wibble like this.
  14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

@kevin b - there's things to worry about. This isn't one of them!

Main use for it would be to protect the drysuit from a bit of chaffing when it's rolled, but even then it's not really an issue. The BCD should be stored in the dry, so a bit of air drying the inflator out isn't a bad thing.

I, like @jb2cool and probably @Dave Whitlow, have pulled the thing off my drysuit and I've never put one on the wing/BDC inflator.

15. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Just a pic I found from Google.

I do actually have one stripped down for cleaning at home at the minute but I just use kitchen roll, some malt vinegar and an old toothbrush. If it's really bad I break out the cilit bang.

NickPicks likes this.
  16. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Citric acid is dirt cheap (£5k/kg) and smells less than malt vinegar. Also, unlike vinegar, it is crystals and doesn't spill. Left too long it does clean the chrome off DIN wheels quite well :eek:

17. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Don't know about inflators needing dust caps, but they can go wrong with a bit of sand in them. I had a continuously inflating bcd in Barbados until I undid the hose. Mind you, the equipment was pretty crap at that dive centre.