1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Impulse holiday

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by JohnL, Jul 8, 2017.

1. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Got a mail from a club that use the underwater film studio in Basildon advertising a holiday in Malta. My wife has always wanted to go there, so decided that 10 boat dives in September, basic hotel, b&b and flights for £650 was just the ticket. She is around £200 cheaper as a non-diver.
    We will dive with Paradise who are on a beach on the North coast. Tripadvisor gives them decent ratings, particularly if you are a competent diver rather than a beginner.
    I think that it will be a culture shock from our normal five-star Madeiran hotel but, hey, it's only a week. I'll not make any Essex jokes.:whistling:

Big Joe and Doomanic like this.
  2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Nice price. Have fun.

BTW how's yer lug hole now?

3. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Cured - doctor suggests starting shallow! I'm dropping into a pool tomorrow in my dry suit with summer undergarments and doing a proper weight check - with a full tank unfortunately, but will add a couple of kg to compensate for air usage to get a fresh water figure. How much to add to that for salt water?

splinter likes this.
  4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Great news. Do you know what it was -- I thought that torn eardrums took quite a while to heal,

Typically I add two to three kilos for salt water if nothing else changes.

I could also point out the weight of the gas in your tank - 3.3kg for air or nitrox. Tradition has it that you all do some Wibble bashing now....
    So you could do a weight check for a full tank, then add the weight you'll loose when you breathe the gas.

5. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Thanks, Wibbs

Think that it must have been more a pinprick than a proper tear, thank goodness. I'll round my "couple" of kg to add for air use to 3.3.

6. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

It's been a good week for impulse holidays, we've just booked another one.:whistling: Sandals were having a summer sale at very good prices and we are off to Grenada for 10 days next May - one feature is free scuba!

Did the weight check in the pool today - with a full tank, I was at eye level with a normal breath at 5kg (interestingly, it was 4kg until I put my gloves and hood in my suit pocket). So I should be carrying 8kg allowing for gas use, compared to the 10 that I was using at Stoney. I kitted up on my own and remembered to connect the suit inflator and check that the exhaust valve was fully open - getting better each time!

Big Joe, NickPicks and splinter like this.
  7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Funny how things become easier the more you do them...

8. snowman

snowman Active Member

Funny too, how many people seem to be OK on 8KG/10KG in fresh/salt water.

I guess it's about right for average height/weight people... which reminds me that I have a leaky weight pouch to sort out before all the shot vanishes!

M

PS One big shock after Madeira that you weren't expecting will be the lack of fish! There aren't a lot in Malta!

9. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Already seen that in Barbados - the locals don't take much notice of the reserved areas and one of the jobs on dives for the leader was to open up the fish traps that she found. But you are right, Madeira is fantastic - I remember looking a a load of colourful small fish and the guide pointed up, where a large shoal of barracuda were looking down at lunch.:p