1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ikelite Housing in Hand Luggage

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Donal Murphy, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Donal Murphy

Donal Murphy New Member

Hi,

I've just got a second hand Ikelite housing for my old Nikon D90. I've never used one before and and I'm going to try it out when I go to Crete later this month. Does anyone know if I can take the housing as hand luggage through airport security (Gatwick) or is it necessary to put it in hold luggage (I've searched the site and I can't find a reference to this)?

Thanks
    Donal Murphy

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hi Donal, welcome to the site - hope you have a good holiday!

The housing doesn't have any batteries or other electronic bits so I'd expect that it wouldn't matter. Especially if the camera was in it. Wait for other responses though.

3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I always take my camera in hand luggage. Security might want a look at it but never a problem

4. Donal Murphy

Donal Murphy New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to using the camera in housing!

5. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

I always take my housing in hand lugage, The ikelites are ok, the metal ones like nauticam i place in a sepeate tray for the scanner. If they can see what it is then you dont get the bag searched.

6. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Hand luggage definitely. I’ve taken all sorts of dive gear in hand luggage in the past; regs, torches, dsmbs, even a rebreather head. Rarely raises an eyebrow.

7. John F

John F Member

You should try a set of carbon brake pads, that gets them going.

8. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

At Gatwick? I seem to get my bag searched every single time I have anything vaguely scuba related these days.

9. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

I take stuff out the bag if I think they cant identify it on the screen, with the camera housings they dont tend to like the strange configuration of buttons. if your going as a group large number of divers then being towards the last ones few gives the security time to get used to seeing cameras and rgulators on the screen.

10. Donal Murphy

Donal Murphy New Member

Hi,
    For information - I took the housing and camera as hand-luggage through security at Gatwick and they showed no interest in it at all. And the housing worked fine.

11. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I try to keep my housing back open when I fly as unsure what the drop in pressure will do it it. They are designed to have higher pressure on the outside but if it's sealed when you fly it'll have higher pressure on the inside.