1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ice Cold In Capernwray

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by andy_richardson, Dec 1, 2008.

1. andy_richardson

Well, what can I say? It was my first real exposure to Winter diving yesterday. Got up at stupid o'clock, got in the car and headed south and west to Capernwray. Coming over the A66 everything was beautiful, the sun was shining, the fields were bleached with frost, and the distant lakeland fells looked stunning clad in their winter covers peeping over the fog that covered Cumbria like a blanket. That's right....fog.....miles and miles and miles of the bloody stuff.
    From Stainmoor to Killerton Lake. Not a thing could be seen. Wall to walll bugger all. Thinking to myself, what the feck am I doing. Why aren't I back in bed, snuggled up to Mrs Richardson, nice and toasty. But then the sun came out. Hooray. Just in time for me to see the speed traps and slow down.;) Got to Capernwray , met up with the rest of the club, and proceeded to get chilly. Air temp was -2c, water temp was a positively balmy 6c. Ice cream headaches all round. I did find, however, that one your face goes numb, it stops hurting :lol:.
    Water was lovely and clear, the perch were hanging around by the Cessna, mugging passing diver fish, and the trout were scaring the trainees on the 3m and 6m platforms. Bloody marvellous day. Winter diving....bring it onThumbs Up

2. Ellie

Ellie Non scene GUE diver

Glad you enjoyed it!

It was slightly warmer at Vobster yesterday, 0 degrees on the surface and 9 in the water, but we also had snow!

At least at Cappers you can go and sit in the nice warm cafe. At Vobster there is an open sided tent instead :lol:

Ellie

3. Dougalsdad01

Dougalsdad01 Active Member

My temperature stick said 9 on the surface and 8 degress at 18m, did we dive the same Capernwray?

4. andy_richardson

Well my Gekko said -2, and my gloves and hood did freeze to the rocks by the exit point when I took them off and put them down during my surface interval........:tongue:

5. Beanie

Beanie New Member

haha

i did that at my local sight with a 6mm semi dry

water was 5 aswell

who woulda thunk being cold could be so fun
    :angry: