1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP/MP/LP

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by VintageGt, Sep 12, 2017.

1. VintageGt

VintageGt Member

Guys,

Looking to acquire my first reg set and I reckon I've got my head around this but I want to check before I part with any dosh...what do I need in the way of ports on the first stage?

I'm looking to be able to employ 2 LPI hoses for BCD and dry suit combo once I get to that point.

I'm not concerned with transmitters so am looking to employ primary stage 2, octopus, SPG, LPI hose to BCD and LPI hose to dry suit. Just not 100% certain on the difference between MP and LP and how many HP you may need (or come to need).

Thank you.

2. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

HP is just for cylinder pressure so you'll only need one.
    MP? That's a new one on me.
    LP will be up to 4 for a single cylinder set up; 2 second stages, suit inflate, buoyancy device inflate.

VintageGt likes this.
  3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The most commonly recommended first stage on here is the Apeks DS4. That is dry sealed (DS) and has 4 IP ports. There's one HP port.

It's all you normally need and they work well in most configurations -- single cylinder, twin cylinder, stage cylinder, pretty much all except for sidemount.

Normally refer to HP (high pressure) for the gauge and IP (intermediate pressure - circa 10 bar above ambient) for the connections to the inflation hoses and second stages.

VintageGt likes this.
  4. VintageGt

VintageGt Member

Yeah, me too. As I've been doing some online searches I've come across LP and HP but not MP until today.

Thanks for the advice, that's what I suspected would be the case

5. VintageGt

VintageGt Member

What do you make of this deal?

https://www.simplyscuba.com/products/aqua-lung-i300-atx-offer

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

It seems a good price. The regs are excellent; reliable and great value for money. Do you need the dive computer?

7. VintageGt

VintageGt Member

Yeah, need one. Have been looking at this i300 or a Zoop Novo. This one seems to tick all the boxes for what I'd need so yeah. All in all a very good deal I think

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Main thing is to not spend too much money early on! Once you've got past the initial stages, goodness knows where it'll lead. Computers for example: cheap, then if you're going further get the Perdix (other computers are available, etc.). Same with drysuit; get something that'll sort you out without too much cost, then, if/when you're ready you can fork out the £1600 for a made to measure! (other drysuits are avilable, etc.)

The great thing about those regs is you really can use them in the future (except for sidemount! other diving styles are available, etc.)

Or you can end up spending on the shiny stuff too early before you realise it's a load of crap!

And don't buy a new BCD.

9. joe90

joe90 New Member

I think my Poseidon 1st stage has an MP port. It confused me too, then I was told its Main Port for the primary Reg. My memory is a little foggy so will check when I get home tonight.

Sent from my HUAWEI TIT-AL00 using Tapatalk

VintageGt likes this.
  10. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah that deal is fine, it's a Apeks Stage 4 which is all you'll need and right hoses come with, so no worries
    about HP or LP for regs or gauge.

What's left is the BC and Drysuit and here you have to be a bit careful.

If you are buying new then the hose with the BC will obviously fit, but if s/hand that's a bit different.
    The most common one looks like this.
    [​IMG]
    That fits the standard inflator fitted to almost all BC's/Wings.
    Note the narrow shank and the smaller ferrule (the cross-hatched bit) on the end.
    This is a BC hose as it has to fit very close to the corrogated hose. Many BC's have sculptured hoses, so this
    fitting is essential.
    [​IMG]

If you have a s/hand BC that has an Auto-Air/AIR 2 type device, the hose will be larger and if you have a Buddy
    BC then the hose is different again (the above standard will fit, but will often fail in use).

For drysuit you have two main types. The older is a CEJN and the one i'd go for (is pretty much the standard
    now if you get a new drysuit) is the Seatec, the same fitting as on the BC above. This is where it can get a bit
    messed up.

The hose can have the same fitting both ends as the BC hose, but often differs in the size of the ferrule, the drysuit having a larger one so it
    can be grabbed easier with a gloved hand. Trouble us that the same ferrule will not fit on many BC's or will push
    the hose at an angle. If it has a sleeve some corrogated have hose grips whoch the prevents it from going in.

Plenty of divers will just use the BC version on both or even add little after-market top-hats to make the DS one
    bigger, but personally i'd go for a smaller one for the BC and a larger one for the Drysuit.

[​IMG]
    So while this hose in this pic will work, this one especially in a fubar works better :)
    [​IMG]

11. nickb

nickb Active Member

MP and LP are interchangeable terms. Both apply to hoses that aren't HP.

HP refers to hoses that can handle full tank pressure i.e. 300 bar or more
    LP/MP require regulated pressure i.e around 10 bar. They usually have a max working pressure of around 35 bar.

VintageGt likes this.
  12. VintageGt

VintageGt Member

I've already got a BCD, second hand off EBay. Used it in Capenwray recently and I'm very happy with it. 90 quid and it looks brand new and works perfectly. Oceanic Probe LX. Very happy with it so far.

Hi Tel, as I said to Wibble above, got a BC and used it with a standard BC hose and all is well. I was lucky enough to be given a dry suit by a colleague who no longer dives. It's an old one but in very good kick nick and I've had it all checked for size and suitability and by all accounts, it looks ideal. I'll obviously use it in a pool first to confirm all is well. I'll try to add a pic of the valve that you may or may not be able to zoom in on and that will determine which type of hose is required for the suit.

13. VintageGt

VintageGt Member

See this pic. Admittedly the quality isn't great as I've had to reduce the size and quality so much just to upload it but this is the dry suit valve I need to be able to hook up to.

Attached Files:

14. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

VintageGt likes this.
  15. VintageGt

VintageGt Member

16. nickb

nickb Active Member

Not sure if it's been mentioned but people need to be careful not to mix these hoses/nipples up.

Normal BC hoses won't fit onto a CEJN nipple but CEJN hoses WILL fit on a normal LP nipple and many people have used this combination. However, doing so can result in the dome inside, which Terry referred to above, being dislodged resulting in a catastrophic loss of gas.

CEJN allows gas flows much greater than a regular fitting but that gas flow is completely unnecessary for suit inflation. The only advantage they offer is that the collar doesn't need to be pulled back in order to connect the hose.

VintageGt likes this.
  17. VintageGt

VintageGt Member

What's the drill with this hose usually? For example...I'm using my wetsuit one day and I don't need this hose. Is it just left attached to the 1st stage and secured to my BCD whilst not is use or would you remove it and then refit it as and when needed?

There's likely a very obvious answer to that, in as much as maybe removing and refitting hoses is best left to a pro in a shop or is it a quick whip out of the tool kit, DIY and job's a good'n?

18. VintageGt

VintageGt Member

That's not been mentioned I don't think so thanks for that. Very sound advice I'd say! :thumb:

19. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I tape it around the cylinder necks. Or tape it to the SPG hose (if it's not too long)

(I sometimes use a separate drysuit inflation cylinder, so don't need the one attached to my regs. I know some people just thread the second hose under their harness and leave it dangling so they can use that for inflating their SMB.)

20. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I didn't mention it because he has a CEJN and didn't want to over-complicate, but yes
    absolutely right :)

We used to have no end of issues with drysuit hoses and some idiot using the wrong one,
    but since going 100% over to CEJN the issue has been solved. These days those that regularly
    borrow club regs for own drysuits are obliged to change the nipple to CEJN.