1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP dive gauges bore size

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Julian, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Julian

Julian New Member

Probably a newbie question, and apologies if there's a collective groan when reading this from the experienced members!

I've recently replaced two basic pressure gauges on my two sets of regs - one with a three console Suunto set, with pressure, depth and compass - the other with a depth/pressure two console Apeks one.

When removing the old ones, they both had the expected pin-hole bore size...which I'd understood to be standard for HP hose connections.
    However BOTH new gauge sets have a large (few mm's) bore size....
    Is that correct/OK?

Both were direct replacements into the HP port on my regs, and connect fine - just want to be safe rather than sorry, and defer to the experience here to tell me "yeah, that's fine!"

Thanks,

Julian

Wibble likes this.
  2. j_b

j_b Well-Known Member

Have you got the HP swivel? That is what will bring the bore size down... Its a little spindle with a small hole down the centre and a tiny o ring on either end.

3. Julian

Julian New Member

Thanks for your help. Would that swivel be on the gauge end, rather than the first stage end? The gauges came pre-assembled, with the boot etc. around it, so haven't looked at that nor dissassembled...the gauges are pretty fixed, and don't seem to swivel at all on the hose.....

4. j_b

j_b Well-Known Member

Sorry, I may be confusing the issue... The swivel is in between the hose and the gauge so if you have bought a fully assembled console and hose, the swivel will be in there already and everything will be fine :)
    Edit: hopefully ;)
    Odd that they don't swivel though as that is what the swivel is for lol

5. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

you say "new": is that "new" as in straight out of a pack, or "new" as in "new to you but actually second hand of unknown origin?
    It wouldn't end prettily if you were attaching a low pressure hose to an HP port! And there are still some first stages around with the same size for HP and LP ports.

6. Julian

Julian New Member

Both brand new, and bought from Stoney Cove at the dive show in London last weekend. Might give them a ring tomorrow....
    Looking more closely, they do both swivel - just a bit stiff/notchy. Neither of the new gauges have been in the water yet, nor pressurised.
    They're connected to brand new first stages - Scuba Pro MK25s....simply swapped out the previous gauges for the new ones. Have successfully used the mk25 and the old gauges in a pool session once, no issues.

7. j_b

j_b Well-Known Member

You'll be fine then :)

8. Julian

Julian New Member

Excellent, thanks! Heading for a pool session in next couple of weeks, so will have a chance to try before the next proper expedition!