1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do You Wear Your Weights?

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Smudge, Mar 12, 2011.

?

How do you attach your weights?

1. Belt

39.6%
  2. Intergrated BCD

29.2%
  3. Harness

12.5%
  4. Fixed

22.9%
  5. Ankle

8.3%
  6. Harness pockets

10.4%
  7. Other

8.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Smudge

Smudge Member

After diving with a various number of methods for attaching my weight I was just wondering how you guys/gals did it!!!!!

I've never used a belt to hold more than 2kg but my son has had no end of problems with them spinning and dropping off his hips when he has 11kg attached. I used to use intergrated weights with my BCD but after swaping to a twin set, most of my weight is fixed to my cylinders/backplate with 2kg being dumpable on a weight belt.

I've just got a DUI harness for my son in the hope that he can keep his weights in the same place thoughout the whole dive.

With all these different methods of attching weights I just wondered what methods other people use and how good they really are.

2. j_b

j_b Well-Known Member

i've just moved to a wing from a bcd with integrated weights and have a DUI harness now... i can't get on with weight belts due to a stupid body shape as the result of an accident in my youth.

3. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

I don't - no weights needed even with ali BP and full winter thermals. :D

4. Ellie

Ellie Non scene GUE diver

Wow, do you have lead bones?!

5. Silty Bottom

Silty Bottom in DIRnial

No she has 300 bar cylinders

6. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

:cry:

;):D

As he said the 300 bar 7's do the trick just nicely even when I swapped out my steel plate for my ali one.

7. Baz

Baz Active Member

V weight on a twinset with stainless back plate.

Holiday diving I use WTX apex weight pouches on my harness with an ali backplate.

Prior to that I had integrated weights on a tekwing, always hated weight belts of any variety.

8. Major Clanger

Major Clanger P-Plated Meg Diver

All on my back for fresh water. Harness pockets for sea.

9. Rockhopper

Rockhopper Member

Isn't a bit dangerous to have no dumpable weight?

10. Smudge

Smudge Member

It depends on your type of diving ;) Many techies don't have dumpable weight.

11. Twinsetmad

Twinsetmad Member

More problems are caused by slipped weight belts or a weight pocket falling out than having no ditchable weight... all mine is part of my rig... and I wear a Dui weight harness when diving singles

12. Silty Bottom

Silty Bottom in DIRnial

V weight when diving twins, weight belt when using a single

13. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

None in fresh water and v weight for the sea. I do have a 5mm backplate though. I hate weightbelts with anything more than a couple of kg in, they always slipped down etc.
    As for the dumpable weight, under what circumstance would one need to dump lead AND the probability of it occurring?

14. Badknees

Badknees Meg Pilot (retired) and Forum KGB

My torch is the only dumpable weight I carry.

At depth there isn't a reason I can think of to dump weight.

BK

15. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

Use a weight belt although a crotch strap from my wing goes over it. So far I only dive a single cylinder and not got weight pouches for my wing. I have had trouble with a weight pouch dislodging when I had a bcd and dont fancy that occuring again.

16. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf Well-Known Member

I mostly do tropical water diving with a Cressi 2.5mm shorty and occasionally a 0.5mm 'skin' underneath. I seldom need more than 3Kg - a kilo in each of the integrated weight pockets of my BCD and home-made 500 gram weights in each of the two trim pockets at the back. Works very well for me.

On the rare occasions when I have to use my 5mm full wetsuit, I add a kilo each in the main weight pockets, making it 5Kg overall.

I hated weight belts from the start and stopped using them as soon as I got my OW and bought my own BCD.

17. Baz

Baz Active Member

When you are making silt angels on the bottom of Stoney, you don't want your weight falling out that crucial point.

18. big si

big si Well-Known Member

no weights for me either, im with an ali backplate aswell. My personal view is anyone wearing more than 6kgin a drysuit is overweighted although some dont agree

19. Smudge

Smudge Member

So that explains the poor vis :giggle:

20. big si

big si Well-Known Member

IMO most people are overweighted so dump the weight before you enter the water, get properly weighted you will be amazed how little you realy need. Dumpable weight is dangerous if it falls off or you dump it the usual case is you head for the surface like an exocet missile