1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I stop my ankle weights loosening/slipping?

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by ScubaDiva, May 20, 2009.

1. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

Okay so i had one set of weights which turned out to be 0.9kg each - too heavy. So I acquired another pair of 0.6kg each - they were practically new. They are the beaver ones and the problem is that they wouldn't stay tightened and kept loosening up. So much so that they were dragging on the ground causing a little hole in them.

Now apart from sewing the straps what can I do?

(And lets leave aside the don't wear any suggestion for now please ;))

2. divingdoc1

divingdoc1 Active Member

get a pair of weight retainers and feed the straps through them...the teeth on the retainers should keep the straps tight! You could also try the toothed bcd webbing locks

3. Ellie

Ellie Non scene GUE diver

Those who don't like the stigma of wearing ankle weights wear them inside their drysuit, which I guess would also stop them coming loose and dragging on the floor!

Ellie

4. divingdoc1

divingdoc1 Active Member

oooo sounds uncomfy

5. Ellie

Ellie Non scene GUE diver

Possibly, I've never tried it. I've only used ankle weights once, when an instructor wannabe convinced me I needed them many moons ago.

Ellie

6. sazza

sazza New Member

my suit has a extra piece of fabric on the front shin / ankle area that the weights thread through....i didnt realise it was there it someone pointed it out, perhaps yours does???

7. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

Ok i have resisted for this long

GET RID OF THEM

a correctly trimmed diver does not require them

MPOV

When you dive in a wet/semi dry suit do you use them

When you dive in a dry suit why do you need them (Because your instructor told you) Ballderdash he gave them to you because he/she could not be arsed trimming you out correctly.
    Try moving your cylinder slightly down if you dive with a single tank this will help alittle with trim

8. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

Get some springs on ur
    fins they weigh the same
    or use knife straps 2
    limit the air collecting in
    ur boots or thicker socks

9. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

Oh I might have - I'll have to go and check as I think there is a bit that i have been wondering what for.[hr]
    When I went to Anglesey I didn't wear any as they hadn't arrived. I was fine but I felt that it was tiring not having them. (BTW - such restraint!)[hr]
    Are these different to what is already on them?

10. NO1U12NO

NO1U12NO New Member

In a wet suit you don't have to worry about getting air in your boots, flipping upside down and rocketing to the surface. Ankle weights keep your feet lower in the water. They are not hazardous so why shouldn't divers wear them if they feel more comfortable doing so.

11. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

So does not using your suit for bouyancy and just adding enough air for comfort rather than bouyancy.....

Weres NeilH when i need back up

How many GUE divers do you see racing to the surface.

12. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

Oh that's it play the GUE card when it suits you! ;)

13. neilh

neilh Well-Known Member

Blimey, not often I get a plea from AG for DIR assistance so I better get in quick before he changes his mind :thumbup:

I'm not a big fan of ankle weights personally and I don't know anyone who actually needs weight that far down their body to counteract any rotation.

DIR divers use rigid fins and, typically, those are Scubapro Jets or Turtles. They happen to be quite heavy. However the position in the water is with the knees bent so the feet are raised. No chance of the fins/feet dragging across the bottom wearing out ankle weight straps/suits :)

For a DIR diver I would recommend getting in the water for a weight check (practically empty cylinder(s), check you can hold a stop) and once you have your weighting right try to hold station in the water in a horizontal position and see what happens. Once you know whether you are rotating head or feet down you can think about where to position the weight to compensate.

For example I need a couple of Kg in fresh water with a twinset and with my Fabers I can feel a slight head-down rotation. Consequently I use an ali backplate (minimal weight) and a 2Kg tail weight on the twinset to get the weight as far back as possible.

14. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

Do DIR divers use some sort of frog kick rather than up and down finning then?

(BTW - There was no dragging of fins or weights on the bottom - my trim isn't as bad as that. :crying: It was when I got out and took my fins off to walk back to the car!)

15. neilh

neilh Well-Known Member

Most of the time, yes - however there is also a form of flutter kick where only the knees down are used rather than the whole leg. In general the principle is that the fins are moved in such a way that the water is pushed parallel to you rather than the traditional kick which pushes the water down and can therefore stir up the bottom and reduce the visibility.

Ah I see! Ooops, apologies for disrespecting your trim :D

16. NO1U12NO

NO1U12NO New Member

I understand that everyone should be weighted correctly or be as neutrally bouyant as possible for gas efficeincy and to be positioned correctly in the water, both upright and flat in the water for effieceincy of effort.

What I don't understand is why weighting needs to be central (i.e. it's ok to add tank weights) to avoid rotation but not at your extremities (i.e. ankle weights) - If it works for some divers and makes them feel more comfortable why not?

I have also been lead to believe that when you follow the DIR route your kit is like a uniform, you all have to kit up in much the same way, but I really don't follow that there is a 'best practice' way to kit up that suits everyone. If we were all the same height, size and density then perhaps but we are not and therefore IMO different configurations will suit different divers.

I feel I must also add this is only my opinion at this point in time, feel free to attempt to educate me.

17. neilh

neilh Well-Known Member

My current favourite saying regarding weight is "you need what you need", but in this case I'll also add in "and you need it where you need it"! When you rotate head or feet down you're likely to rotate about a point. You need to position appropriate weight at an appropriate distance from that point to counteract that rotation. If the only thing that works is putting a small amount of weight right down at your feet then that's what you need.

However moving your head can have an impact on trim, as can your arm and leg position. It may be possible to achieve the same result as ankle weights simply through adjusting these and some other weights.

It's personal preference at the end of the day though. If you get on fine with ankle weights, need them and are comfortable in the water with them then knock yourself out :)

You're absolutely right, it won't suit everyone. It isn't about the "best" way to configure your kit or even to come up with something that should work for everyone. It's about a configuration that works well for recreational open water dives right the way up to deep wreck or cave exploration.

This has a couple of advantages:
    - buddy checks are incredibly straight forward. I know exactly how all your kit is configured and operates - it's like mine.
    - I can start out with a set of kit as a recreational diver and need to change very little as I progress

What is sometimes missed about DIR is that a lot of it is about compromise. As I said it's not about creating the perfect configuration for single cylinder, warm water diving or multiple scooter and stage cave exploration - it's about something that can be used for both.

18. NO1U12NO

NO1U12NO New Member

Good answers neil - I shall certainly take your comments on-board.

19. neilh

neilh Well-Known Member

I'm always happy to talk about GUE/DIR and explain what it's about - it doesn't suit everyone, but it makes sense for me!

20. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

Is there somewhere where I can read about DIR stuff to get the jist?