1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I front mount a 3 litre pony

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Jimnibimnibob, Apr 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jimnibimnibob

Jimnibimnibob New Member

Hi,

I am looking to front mount my 3 liter pony to help with balance/trip, easy access to the vale and to take some of the weight off my back.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket harness or sling for mounting on the front?

Cheers

James

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Welcome to the forum James.

There's loads of ways to mount stages. But sticking to a more standard way would seem logical.

A stage mounting kit is pretty common. They have a string tied off two bolt snaps with a hose spacer. They're fitted with a large jubilee clip. As a 3 litre cylinder is thinner than a 7 litre, you'll probably need to make up a couple of bungee loops from 10 mm bungee to hold your regulator hose in place.

I'd clip it from the top-left chest D-ring to the left-hand waist D-ring. Mainly because that's how many (most?) people mount stages.

3. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Stage kit or side mount kit. Basically 2 clip,1 on the neck one three quarters ish down. Personally I’d go side sling rather than across the front. Each to their own.

4. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Before going that route quick go-over on the backmounted.

Although plenty use clamp systems, these can push the pony away from the V between BC and cylinder.
    A simple set of twinning bands keeps it really tight into the V making it closer to the back aiding trim and
    weighs that bit less.

Inverting the cylinder means access to the valve easily and as valve + 1st stage puts the weight lower
    almost at waist height it's now easy to offset the weight on the weightbelt to compensate, again helping
    trim.

Out the water if the problem is it's heavy, then why not dump the weightbelt first? Moving stuff around
    won't make the whole package lighter,. just easier to hand off. If it's a rib then the belt is the first off always
    anyway, if a lift doesn't matter so all that's left is a ladder and same applies, can hand up the belt.

So assuming that all the above has already been done, tried and is not working them yes side-sung as a
    stage. Only thing to watch is how you have the alternate as with simple systems it tends to be better
    rigged opposite side to that.

If you have standard yellow octopus then don't have anything yelllow on the pony. This is for you and
    nobody else, so don't want any confusion in fubar moment.

Front mount? Just no. Slings the pony across the front which links the BC causing an extra action to
    remove during rescue and that's IF it's not stuck. It also hides the weightbelt and BC cummerband or clip
    which can make it harder to ditch when seconds count.

5. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Has to be said...

Piss Off Not Yours -- PONY -- are not that good. Sure, better than nothing if you've run out of gas, but there's a limited amount of gas, they don't get used, can be unreliable, need to be practised, are awkward when back mounted, are no use deep....

Just use a twinset and be done with it. With a long hose. That's the general solution and gives you more gas, standard protocols, is reliable, flexible, better trim, works from depth, works in recreational and technical profiles, perfect for gas sharing...

PONYs are a bit old-school and tend to be used by certain clubs and 'types' of divers.

Once you've gone to a twinset you won't look back. You'll be able to use the same configuration in all sorts of diving, even those where PONYs can't go -- deep, underground, two dive profiles. You can attain great flat trim and control...

And then there's sidemount for true redundancy and amazing trim

7. joe90

joe90 Member

How about getting some large threaded dermal piercings in the chest, then attaching the pony with a standard pony quick release bracket.

Should I piss of back under my rock??

;)

Sent from my HUAWEI TIT-AL00 using Tapatalk

JohnL likes this.
  8. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Has to be said.

Any system be it a pony or a twinset is an inanimate object totally reliant on the user to ensure that it's right for that job.
    The negative results of poor gas planning and lack of any regular skills practice applies to ALL cylinder sizes and configurations.

An inept diver doesn't become a dive ninja on swapping to a twinset any more than a die-hard tec diver turns into a rubbish
    diver soon as he puts on a pony.

The pony has a specific role in a narrow depth band usually upto the edge of non-deco limits. For the average UK diver who is
    happy doing 30m dives on a bit of Nx it will provide enough gas to go home easy. It's totally unsuitable for deeper as it doesn't have
    enough gas, but then so is a twinset if that's taken deeper - again no difference, be objective and apply like for like.

Each redundant system no matter what it is has a set band of criteria where they work well and either side of that not so good or
    can even be fatal. To claim a system is better without applying this criteria runs the very real risk of putting the diver at risk.

As for stereotypes - At least those old crustie pony-using club divers know what salt water is like :p

9. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

I had mine clipped on diagonally across on A D ring on the shoulder strap and the waist band. The reg hose secured by a bungie, it all worked well just make sure it dose not press or knock on your drysuit inflator button. I dont dive enough deep dives to warrent the extra expense of a twin set and so a pony got me through the deep, ice courses. I did practice and use it a fair bit but TBH most my dives are easy bimbles above 25M.