1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hose length...?

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by VintageGt, Jan 19, 2018.

1. VintageGt

VintageGt Member

guys...open water done, onto advanced open water this spring and then into the world of dry suits soon after.

I own a dry suit already as I was very fortunate to be given one by an ex diving colleague but I need to look at acquiring a hose for it. It’s an Apeks CEJN type that I need but my question is, what length should l look to get?

It seems people route their dry suit hose differently so it may depend on that. I wear a BCD and not a wing which may influence the route of the hose but I just wondered what you guys thought in the way of advice for when I do don the dry suit in anger for the first time!

Thank you!

2. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

Bit subjective would depend on your girth :) mine is 26".....

Not to be read out of context...(yea i wish)

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Not too tight, not too loose. Mine's routed behind my shoulder, under my armpit and through the (one piece) harness. I prefer a bit of slack as I use the drysuit inflation hose to inflate my SMB.

VintageGt likes this.
  4. VintageGt

VintageGt Member

Haha...my girth is quite slight I’m pleased to say (in this case!). I’m 5” 10 and 3

5. VintageGt

VintageGt Member

Might have to go to a shop and try a couple for approximate length I guess. Hard to tell until I give it a go I suppose.
    I’d be the same, too tight is obviously no good but excess slack hanging about would be a pain too

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

It's not like the BCD hose which has to be the right length; there can be some leeway. But it can't be too short as it won't reach.

7. VintageGt

VintageGt Member

I think I’m best off a bit long then. 71cms seems a common length that’s classed as ‘long’ in the descriptions so may give that a shot

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The worst that can happen is you need to get another hose. Oh look, a spare:)

BTW it's best to have the 'BCD' inflators style nipple on the drysuit. Means you don't need two types of hose - and you can get adapters from a normal regulator hose to inflators nipple. (Can never remember the names of the nipples)

9. VintageGt

VintageGt Member

Ah, I didn’t know you could get adapters for them. I already have 2 hoses that fit my BCD so that would negate the need for any other hose. I’ll have a look for these. Thanks for the tip!

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

11. VintageGt

VintageGt Member

12. splinter

splinter Active Member

That will convert a standard regulator hose to a normal bcd hose. It won't attach to your CEJN inflator.

I think what you need is to change the nipple on the drysuit inflator from the CEJN type to a Seatec type, which is the usual BCD fitting. You said you have two BCD hoses. Is one of them long enough to use as a drysuit hose?

This is what you need

http://www.godive.net/go-dive/spares-and-repairs/inflator-nipple/

Select the Seatec option from the drop down box.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

13. VintageGt

VintageGt Member

Thanks Splinter, that’s a very good point and when I’ve looked, no. It’ll not be long enough so I guess I’ve got a spare BC hose and will need to buy a hose for the dry suit.

Seems completely obvious but I never even thought to check that so very grateful for that!