1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hopefully a new diver

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by SteveD, Mar 23, 2018.

1. SteveD

SteveD New Member

Hi I'm Steve, 58 from Waltham Abbey.

A number of years ago I did a try dive while on holiday in El Gouna, Egypt. I was hooked and came back from the holiday planning to do a referral course. Unfortunately i had a heart attack before I could do anything about it.

Roll forward 4 years and I started to look into it again. I spoke to London Hyperbaric about a medical and they told me I needed to organise a Bruce Protocol stress test through my doctor. This is where the fun started. The receptionist didn't have a clue what I was talking but referred the question to the head of the practice. A couple of months later I got a letter that basically said you can't go diving you've had a heart attack and that was it.

A few weeks ago we were told that our medical practise was closing because of all the complaints about them and we were moved to a new practice so I popped in and asked them about the test. The receptionist again didn't know what I was talking about but a Doc (who was hanging about reception at the time) did.

The upshot is I have a consultation booked with him for the 4th April and, fingers crossed, we can go on from there.

At least if I get a 'No' this time I will be confident it is from someone who knows what they are talking about.

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Good luck, Steve, keep us informed.

SteveD likes this.
  3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum.

Bummer; good luck though!

One of the good aspects of diving is it keeps you fit and healthy. OK, there's enough lardy beer swillers around, but for the rest of us diving's an exercise in keeping oneself healthy.

Once you've got your initial courses out of the way, you can make your own mind up about diving, bearing in mind there's loads of options for 'lighter' diving.

Hopefully your next challenge is working out which courses you're going to do:)

There's pretty much two routes; do the PADI Open Water (OW) and soon after do the (poorly named) PADI Advanced Open Water (not advanced, more additional). To that add the Drysuit course and Nitrox (oxygen-rich air which gives you longer underwater). Then go diving to practice your skills. The world's then your lobster.

The other alternative is to go down the BSAC club route. It's probably best to let PADI do your OW and then cross over into the BSAC mould. BSAC's slower than PADI but it's often more thorough especially if you plan on diviing in the UK. The most important thing is to try out different clubs: they vary a lot.

But the best of luck to you

SteveD and JohnL like this.
  4. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Welcome, and good luck :)

If you are fit enough then you should be able to dive, irrespective of what happened before.

Here is the tale of someone who dives after a heart attack http://www.nigelhewitt.co.uk/stuff/heart/index.html

A guy in our club had major heart surgery (quadruple bypass) and was recently signed off to go diving again.

I am older than you and I dive and, as the years advance, the important thing is staying fit.

SteveD likes this.
  5. SteveD

SteveD New Member

Thanks guys, this is all very encouraging :)

6. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Good luck with the medical stuff.

When you've got through all that and can dive you've a few options. I'm local to you (Epping kinda) , there's a bsac club at chingford (Loughton sub Aqua club - mine) , also bsac at Harlow. There's PADI based at Loughton pool. Maybe there's others , I'm sure you can find them.

If you go down the bsac route there's medical forms (all agencies will have them but I know about ours) the links should take you to the forms on the bsac website;

Main page - https://www.bsac.com/safety/medical-matters-and-medical-forms/

Self cert - https://www.bsac.com/document/diver...ver-self-declaration-medical-fitness-form.pdf

Medical referral - http://www.ukdmc.org/medical-referees/

Medical referee form- https://www.bsac.com/document/fitne...016/fitness-to-dive-examination-form-2016.pdf

Endorsed self cert- https://www.bsac.com/document/medical-referee-form-2016/1medical-referee-form-2016.pdf

For training Padi will be quicker , Bsac slow(er) , depends really where you envisage diving. Holiday stuff go Padi , UK stuff I'd say Bsac is best but I'm biased.

Good luck and if you've any questions just ask.

JohnL likes this.
  7. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I agree with Vanny on training providers, having tried both. PADI is fine if you are going to follow a guide in warm waters with excellent visibility, it has some shortcomings if you want to explore the more challenging waters of the UK. That is not to say that you cannot dive safely in the UK, but BSAC gives you a more structured and safety first approach in a club environment.
    Assuming that you get signed good to go, I recommend you get diving insurance - you may well have some cover on your current travel insurance but it will be limited and, it you needed to use it, would not necessarily be dealing with diving experts. I'm on my third year with DAN, which is not expensive and only deals with dive insurance. The only time that I've contacted them was when I was guided 10m deeper than my qualification and shook myself up. They assured me that, as long as I was diving with a reputable dive centre, they would have covered any problems.
    As to age, you are just a youngster - I've just made it to 71 and, recently, someone got a Guinness record for a dive on his 94th birthday.

8. SteveD

SteveD New Member

Assuming everything is good re. the medical I was planning PADI OW (maybe referral depending on holiday plans for this year*) and then maybe switching to BSAC for the more advanced stuff. Someone I know (I've gone blank and can't remember who) recommended Orca in Basildon for training.

*we've just spent this years holiday budget on a share in a syndicate on a boat on the Norfolk Broads so I need to build it back up again :)

9. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Fingers crossed for you. Shout if any questions.