1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hollis drysuit (BTR500) vs Otter drysuit ( not sure which model yet)

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Babycover, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

My quick neck seal is fine. Comfy, don't noir it in use. Haven't needed its purpose yet, but carry a spare neck seal in the drysuit bag.

Kubi glove system is a no-brainer. Fantastic gloves; reliable, easy to change. Works very well.

2. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

I don't notice the neck seal when wearing it. (Make sure the neoprene neck warmer is included - I'm pretty sure it is).
    I did once hear something about the neck ring interfering with the padding on the fourth element Hali under suit but that's only hearsay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. nickb

nickb Active Member

I had it on a previous suit and hated it.

It's bulky and uncomfortable and the ring isn't very large. My head isn't particularly big at 58cm but it was always a struggle to get into and out of the suit.

You'll have to weigh up the convenience of being able to change a seal should one split with the day to day ballache of having the ring there. Me, I'd rather get the seal changed once it starts showing significant wear.

Oh and Sitech valves are crap in comparison to Apeks. I'd never use them again.

4. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Depends where you dive, but an all out red i've found gets grubby fairly quick, so if you want a bit of colour just have
    the shoulders/arms coloured. That's how ,most UK Otter's that have a bit of colour are done, very few have a full
    coloured suit.
    And same as Nick had way more issues with Sitech then Apeks, I buy a fair few Otter's and if new it's Apeks and
    if s/hand and has a Sitech I swap them out for Apeks.

5. nickb

nickb Active Member

Another benefit of Apeks is that a Sitech valve can be used with an Apeks backing washer should the need arise. You can't do vice-versa as Apeks valves need bigger holes.

Most heated vest/suit bulkheads are designed to work with Apeks and will not fit into a Sitech washer as the hole would be too small and require cutting.

6. nickb

nickb Active Member

I would always choose a user-replacable wrist seal system, regardless of whether I wanted dry gloves. The convenience of swapping out a wrist seal will pay for itself as soon as you tear one. Also, silicone wrist seals are brilliant, although you will replace seals more often. If you put a hole in a silicone seal it WILL tear, they cannot be repaired like latex can.

I wouldn't go for Kubis unless I was planning to use dry gloves or my hands were too big to fit through a smaller, oval ring system. I use the SiTech QCS oval rings and they have a much smaller profile that Kubis. From what I've seen, it's also much easier and quicker to swap a seal.

However, they use the Antares dry glove system and some people have had issues with these (I haven't and I love them) and they are more vulnerable to damage than Kubis, which are essentially indestructible.

7. Babycover

Babycover New Member

Awesome, thank you for all the advices.
    I prety much there,
    Will order a partly red suit ( shoulders, arm, maybe a bit more )
    Neck seal will be latex with a neoprene neck warmer ( no quick neck seal - as the seller also advse that lots of people have it and wanted to remove as it uncomfortable, and my head is pretty big)
    I will try to find a suit that have latex and silicone wrist seals to have a feel and decide to go with what. But again not sure whether i realy should get a Sitech QCS oval ring, will i be able to put my hand in a tight space ( i.e : in a crevice, to get a crays)
    this would be my first time to heard people prefer Apek rather than Sitech.
    Seem like a good decision to go for Apek now. but i would like to have the low profile Apek rather than the high one. Havent experience Sitech before so im not sure. Coudl you pelase tel lwhat the problem with Sitech that you experienced

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Can't recommend the Kubi glove rings highly enough. I don't know of anyone who's disliked Kubis, but I know of loads who have had problems with the Scitec glove rings.

The fitted Kubis allow you to change the wrist seal yourself. So if you don't get on with the supplied latex seals, change them for silicone.

9. nickb

nickb Active Member

I think that's a good call. I regretted having the quick Neck fitted the very first time I used it.

If you can't get your hand in a tight space with the oval rings, you'll never do it with Kubi rings.

Latex is harder wearing than silicone but silicone allows tighter seals and therefore less water ingress. You cannot use silicone without a quick change system of some form.

Forget the high profile Apeks. The reasons for preferring those became irrelevant years ago when Apeks released the second version on the low profile dump. I'm not sure it was ever a problem but it became part of DIR folklore and therefore canon.

I've found that Apeks valves dump quicker and more reliably than SiTech and is easier to maintain. Also, the reason I outlined previously where you can use a SiTech valve in an Apeks washer (but not vice-versa) could just get you out of dodge one day.

It's SiTech, Si Tech or Si-Tech, never 'Scitec'

10. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The high profile was supposed to cause issues with removing a OPH, which can kinda see as
    it does stick up twice as high as a standard dump, but it works fine. Well some thought it didn't work fast
    enough though so when Apeks came out with the new low-profile they decided to make it dump even more.
    Trouble is the design was flawed and so this became the Mk1 and the ones fitted now are the Mk2 and
    that's the dog's danglies :)
    This is the Mk1 and the one to avoid or swap
    [​IMG]

SiTech?
    Well TBH didnt like the way they performed and after a couple almost seized up with very few dives
    lost confidence in them and went back to what always worked = Apeks.

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Happy with my Skytech valves;) Seem to dump OK and not leak.

12. nickb

nickb Active Member

Once you have a few salt water dives under your belt, be sure to come back to us with your experiences ;)

13. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Love my silicone neck seal, very comfortable to don/remove and no leakage. No problem with quick neck system - maybe I'm not as big headed as others.:whistling:

14. nickb

nickb Active Member

The seals are really comfortable, much more so than latex. It was just the ring I didn't get on with.

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Seems alright thus far, circa 150 dives with them, most in the sea. At least it'll be possible to swap them for Apeks should the need arise.

Glad of the warning though!

16. nickb

nickb Active Member

No, it's the other way around.

SiTech valves will fit into Apeks backing washers. Apeks valves will not fit into SiTech backing washers without surgery.

17. nickb

nickb Active Member

Another example of SiTech inadequacy: servicing the inlet valves requires removing (and almost certainly trashing) the sticker on the button to gain access to the Allen screw beneath. Servicing an Apeks inlet valve merely requires the removal of the small circlip at the back, using a small screwdriver.

18. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The Sitec backing pad is the same size as the valve which is a fair size smaller than the Apeks backing pad.
    To swap it's just a case of peeling the old pad off then using a flapwheel to clean off the old glue, then a bit
    of cleaner. New pad being bigger gets glued on and once dry trim the hole with a small pair of curved nail
    scissors so flush with the backing pad (can buy a hole punch, but it's not worth it for just one).
    If you do your own neckseals etc. this is a doddle if not it's a minor additional job whenever any other work
    is being done in the pro-shop
    I swapped my first one out when it started to fail after about 100 dives. Could have just put a new one in,
    but by then had lost confidence and besides I had loads of Apeks valves as spares lying around anyway :)

19. Babycover

Babycover New Member

Thank you so much guys. You have been tremendous help and infomative.
    Final product should be arrived around 6-7 weeks since the day the seller ordered
    • zip : brass
    • Red colour in sholder, arm, zip cover.
    • Apek valve
    • P-valve whatever top of the line as the seller suggested.
    • DIR location, outside of arm, sit on the top thrid of the bicept, just below the shoulder
    • 2 largest pocket with compartments, D ring, sock and rock boots
    • Latex neck with neoprene neck warmer. no quickneck seal
    • Heavy duty latex - SItech ovel ring or Kubi ring but not dry glove.
    Will post more about it when it arrived and i did a few dive on it

20. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

You were doing okay until you said this.

Factory-fitted Kubi rings and dry gloves really enhance your life. For years I considered the likes of @nickb as softies who need to man up (still do actually).
    However, I had noticed my hands were getting colder (maybe an age thing) so I had them fitted by Otter in March. They are an invention of wonder and I should have done it long ago!

I am sure you could call and change your order. You really wouldn't regret it.