1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi :)

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by BudBrain, Mar 20, 2009.

1. BudBrain

BudBrain New Member

Hi :)

I'm considering doing the PADI online elearning course and have a couple of questions, if ya don't mind:

- The cost is $120 USD, are there cheaper ways of doing this? I'm taking the actual water course whilst on holiday in Malta.
    - Is there an exam at the end? Just wondering how PADI know you've done it.

Thanks in advance Thumbs Up

2. sazza

sazza New Member

hi bud brain, welcome, youll love diving. not heard about this type of training, however im sure someone will be along soon to answer your question

3. Coldhands

Coldhands New Member

Hello & welcome. Online course? New one to me.

4. Ellie

Ellie Non scene GUE diver

Dunno about cheaper options, but yes there are online knowledge reviews and a final exam which will be stored on your e-learning record.

Ellie

5. Sakara Drinker

Sakara Drinker Posting Sh*te since 2005

Apparently it is a more expensive way of doing it as it isn´t deductible from the cost of your OW course

6. camelweed

camelweed New Member

Hi and welcome to UKD

7. divingdoc1

divingdoc1 Active Member

hey bud......if i was to toe the party line i would have to say yeah great way to do it!

In reality though, im not a great fan of this way of learning. Nothing compares working your way through it with an instructor! And it can work out a bit more expensive!

Have you though about doing a referral? Can do your pool and theory in the uk and your open water dives in Malta. Even better do your whole course here and have fun in Malta.

The referral only takes a couple of days and most dive centres will run it at weekends so your not losing more of your precious holiday time

8. Dougalsdad01

Dougalsdad01 Active Member

The way it works is you do the theory part ie classwork part first on-line, then you print out a certificate of completion which you take to your resort centre or a local school and they do the pool work and open-water bit. Personally I'm of 2 opinions, yes on-line is good as it's another way to get divers in the water (especially if you're time-poor) but the conventional way gives you access to other divers locally and to their knowledge.

My advice would be to be brave, go into your local dive centre (LDS) or shop and tell them what you are considering, they won't bite your head off and you'll probably get a pleasant surprise as to how their prices compare.

Let us all know what you decide though, we're all interested.

9. O2 Steve

O2 Steve New Member

welcome aboard!

10. Aquafan

Aquafan Active Member

I quite enjoyed doing this while I was away, I gave us a chance to chill out and sit together and discuss diving with the instructor, this was done in the shade over looking the sea. But then my total days spent doing the OW was 2 days.

11. Danjoe

Danjoe Member

Hello and welcome from a fellow somerset resident.