1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by ROV, Oct 27, 2019.

1. ROV

ROV New Member

Hi there
    Been on this site a while now and have just posted a Diverite reel for sale . It has told me I must post a thread about myself before it can be approved . Good security , I like it .
    I have been diving now 31yrs . Most diving in the Northeast , Lake District , Scotland & Portland . Just finished my cave diving qualification .
    Cheers
    ROV

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Welcome to the forum.

Nice that the cave diving season's starting -- now the sea's closing for winter. Any recommendations for places to visit? Do need to make it to some more mines this year.

3. ROV

ROV New Member

Hi
    My first taste was at Hodge many many years ago and Dinas . Which are great but heavy on the legs now with all the gear . Doing Mexico a lot now , well every other year . Wife was getting a bit sick of going back every year .

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Dinas has beaten me a couple of times. Badly sprained my ankle treading on a stone and had massive blisters after a two day session.

Not dived Hodge Close. Is it worth a visit?

Holme bank's good for a visit. It’s a common training site but a very interesting location.

Same with Cambrian although you do need to bring a rope for the descent down the slope (more importantly climbing back out!) — a little longer than Hurtle Pot. Hoping to dive the neighbouring Aber Las this winter.

Does seem like most UK overhead diving needs the effort put in!

5. ROV

ROV New Member

They all need effort , nice chatting to you

6. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

it is quite... esoteric, and worthy of visit if only for the experience of getting to the waters edge... the sump is also a nice feature... as is the pool itself for a non penetrating dive...

definitely enough to do for a days diving

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Sounds like climbing or caving's involved!

Need to organise a trip to Aber Las. Anyone interested?

8. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

not really.. there can be a challenges finding where your supposed to park the car - the track down is well hidden... you then follow a stream that dissapears into a tunnel thats maybe 100m long, waist filed with water and only shoulder high... so drysuits are essential, and getting kit through is a bit back breaking. at the end of the tunnel is a scaffolding ladder around 10m high to waters edge.. the walk to the sump is easier - but its pitch black and the ladder down to the waters edge there is a full length rickety aluminum one, which is fun in full kit!

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Struth. Sounds similar to White Lady cave; a fair walk and a short vertical climb -- easier to belay down the kit.

At least mines - excepting Dinas - normally have accessible entrances.

10. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

definitely the way to do the first bit - plenty of dry land to stand on at teh waters edge, but not possible in the Sump - shear edges straight down to the bottom - climbing down in kit is the only way... definitely one for smaller/single tanks...

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Rock boots eat yer heart out!