1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi Ukdivers forum, greetings from NW England.

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Tony Howarth, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Tony Howarth

Tony Howarth New Member

Hi, my name's Tony and I've been diving for ten years.
    I completed my instructor exam in Mexico and have worked in Thailand and Mexico.
    For a few years I was forced into a UK day job but have now regained my passion for the underwater environment.
    It's my wish that humanity would stop polluting the environment, especially the plastics that go in the sea, and every little thing I can do is a small victory.
    For the last year I've been visiting Gozo where I'm renting a 3 bedroom apartment. This year I hope to use it so that certified divers can come over so I can meet new people and enjoy the place. I'll be posting in buddies wanted in the next few days to dive the blue hole etc and some exploratory dives

Anyway, all the best for 2018
    Tony Howarth.

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hi Tony, welcome to the forum.

Keep pondering going over to Malta, but always baulk at the grief of flying with all my kit! Now have a cunning plan with the sidemount stuff: get (most of) the benefits of sidemount such as redundancy but using two recreational cylinders.

In the meantime the UK has a lot to offer, aside from cold and poor visibility!

3. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Welcome Tony - did a week's diving in Malta last year at a centre just near the ferry - visited Gozo twice and loved it.

4. Tony Howarth

Tony Howarth New Member

Hi JohnL,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Gozo is a top place. The blue lagoon is good too.
    Check out gozoclub.co.uk it's something I'm trying to do this year. I've committed to at least a year in this place. If you got any time off come on over and do the blue lagoon with me. Flights from Manchester to Malta for mid April 50 quid return on Ryanair.
    Crazy cheap!
    Taxi to the airport more expensive lol.
    Have a good un.
    Tony.

5. Tony Howarth

Tony Howarth New Member

Thanks for the welcome Wibble.
    Get yourself n a couple of buddies over to do the blue hole and the inland sea. Two world class dives.
    Normal basic scuba gear covers most sites.
    More info on gozoclub.co.uk , something I'm trying to get set up.
    If you fancy it, well up for a dive and a few laughs.
    Thanks again for the welcome. Where you from bud?
    Tony

6. speed098

speed098 Member

Hi Tony
    I only just started back diving and just finished my OW at Mellieha in October. Fell in love with Malta and looking at making it a regular diving destination, ( Just need AOW, deep, wreck etc etc lol ).
    Did not get over to Gozo ( unless you count the Oh Yeah boat stopping there on the way to Comino ) but it is on my list possibly looking at a week in May 2019 on Malta then on to Gozo. Though we are looking at trying to get to Mellieha again in October this year.
    Malta never really appeared anywhere near our radar for holidays but last year I was just browsing around and something just appealed about the place. So holiday booked and BEST ! decision we have made it was great even with the F1 bus drivers ( I just can not get started about the general driving and watching Maltese drivers face off a large dump truck in a smart car ). But hey it added to the memories.
    So maybe will see you there or maybe when I get all my gear sorted at Eccy or Cappers.

7. Tony Howarth

Tony Howarth New Member

Nice one mate.
    The blue hole and inland sea dive sites on Gozo are staggeringly beautiful. Scenery's not too shabby either. End SEP beginning Oct ideal time. Rains come in around end of Oct.
    The citadella in Victoria matches Medina for astounding historical fortresses.
    Ye, stay in touch. I'll sort you some accommodation and get a few dives in. Snorkeling's pretty mean too. No currents. Great topography.
    Bus drivers even more nuts on Gozo lol.
    Malta is so packed though. Gozo seems a fraction of the pace. No traffic jams etc.
    Did you do your o/w with keV at godive?
    Lmk.
    Tony.

8. speed098

speed098 Member

Yes I did an afternoon snorkeling at the Blue lagoon on Comino. I know when we went it was very quiet compared with the summer but still surprised me how many fish where swimming around the feet of those in the water right by the small sandy beach near the deckchairs and snack vans..
    I did my OW dives with Aquaventure based at the Mellieha hotel, nice group of people and look forward to seeing them again and doing more courses out there.
    I really want to get out and do the inland sea and blue hole but would like to combine it with some wreck dives so AOW, deep plus wreck are min before going but would love to also include nitrox, sidemount as well.

9. Tony Howarth

Tony Howarth New Member

Check out Scubakings on Gozo. Top outfit n laid back bunch of Brits running it.
    Recommend your AOW there. Inland sea dive perfect for deep. I got the tee shirt. Still wearing it. Hope to do some guiding for em this year.
    Check out gozoclub.co.uk
    The apartments on there.
    Hopefully I'll be there most of the summer :)
    Blue lagoons astounding isn't it.
    Do a cavern speciality if u can.
    Happy diving mate.
    T.

10. speed098

speed098 Member

Yep Scubakings is the main one I had been looking at on Gozo, an apartment we nearly booked for last October was within 10m of them ( not on any website now so gutted as it was great value, if you look at google maps street view and look past Scubakings and BOV it is the next block top flat with balcony ).
    Cave/cavern specialty maybe but at least 3-4 years away.
    I will probably do tech 40, 45 and possibly 50 before that ( if all goes well ), I also want to look at independent diver courses.
    My aim at present get car through MOT and insurance re done then do drysuit and get in eccy and capers as often as possible. The summer will be to get in the sea around the UK as much as possible while doing a few more specialties, ( seems dive centre insurance company's love pieces of paper ). All goes well Malta for a cheap short visit in Oct and plan a full trip for the following year and hopefully have enough of those pieces of paper but more importantly the experience to dive most wrecks around Malta.

Tony Howarth likes this.
  11. Tony Howarth

Tony Howarth New Member

Good luck mate.
    Ye diving ain't cheap but every bubbles worth it :)
    Try end sept to avoid rains n still get warm water.
    Gis a shout n if you fancy Gozo hit us up for some cheap accommodation. It's in Xlendi, possibly the most hidden gemstone in the Med.
    T.

speed098 likes this.