1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi, I'm new

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Nick SR, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Nick SR

Nick SR Member

Hi All,

As you can gather from my username, I'm Nick, 23 and live in East Yorkshire.

I have never dived before but me and my fiancae are going to do our Open water in Greece in and have a few questions first if anyone can help I would be most greatful.

I have bought flippers, fins and a mask so I can be comfortable.

Should I be concerned about my teeth, as i have begun reading and am a bit concerned?

Any other advise please advise.

Other than that I can't wait :cool:

Thanks

Nick

2. Al1x

Al1x New Member

Hi Nick, welcome to UKD :)

Why should you be concerned about your teeth?

3. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

Welcome,
    Funny that i was talking to a Yorkshire man yesterday who told me east yorkshire is not a real place

so does that mean you live in HUmberside :crying:

4. Nick SR

Nick SR Member

I guess it must mean Humberside then :S not convinced though! :)

In th padi book it says about teeth + trapped air = pain. How common is this?

5. Jenkins

Jenkins Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

I personally don't know anyone who has had problems with their teeth when diving. Basically as I understand it the problem is if you have a (badly done) filling with an air space under it, so as you go down pressure is exerted on the air space and as this is unable to equalise it causes pain.

6. rainbowannie

rainbowannie New Member

Like Jenkins said!

On the other hand when I first started I did have a problem being able to equalise both ears together which lead to a nasty dizzy spell on my try dive. The best advice I had was to practice equalising regularly - a bit like an athlete building up muscles first and training - not going straight into a race... I used to practice three times a day until I could do it easily, once in the morning, again in the afternoon and once more in the evening. I think it took me about a week before I could clear both ears at the same time. I've never had any problems since.

.... and welcome to UKD!!!!

7. magic_nate

magic_nate New Member

Hi and Welcome!

i occasionally have problems equalising my ears but have never had pain in my teeth and have never heard of anyone else getting it either.
    I believe the problems of fiving are listed in the same way side affects are listed on medication.
    it only takes one person to have the side affect and then they list it.

i always found it funny when i got medication for tension headaches that one of the side affects was head aches...

i wouldn't worry about getting tooth pain... unless your dentist is like steve martin in the little shop of horrors....

8. Coldhands

Coldhands New Member

Hi Nick
    Have a lovely time in Greece - I'm sure you'll soon be hooked (on diving that is, not by a Spanish fisherman).

9. ginge

ginge New Member

hi Nick and welcome ... where in Greece are you going to learn ?
    If you have unfilled cavities then it may be a small problem but nothing drastic.

10. Nick SR

Nick SR Member

Hi to all and thanks for the replies.

Thanks for reasurring me about the teeth situation.

In Greece we are going to the island of Lefkas to a town called Vassiliki.

Really can't wait to have my first dive experience :) & the holiday.

Nick

11. ginge

ginge New Member

if you are diving with " Lefkas Dive centre " then you should be well taken care of and get some good instruction -- keep a look out for James and read the PADI open water manual before you thoroughly ---it will save you time whilst on holiday .

12. Argonaut

Argonaut Member

OK the PADI book does mention that an air cavity under a tooth could be an issue - I think you would know fairly soon - it would pop the filling. :)
    I have never heard of, or met anyone who this has happened to though.

Just go for it ... and enjoy.

A you are going abroad anyway, I would strongly recommend doing the PADI Referral route ...
    You do the theory (cringing videos). knowledge reviews etc. locally or on-line, along with local pool sessions to do the confined water learning & tests.
    Then do the 4 OW dives in Greece ....
    2 big benefits .. you can spend time practising in pool in UK over and above the set sessions, most learning centres will allow that .. just pay for the air.
    Meaning you can gain in confidence by practising with the kit, and basic drills in slow time.
    Then when you get to resort .. you go-dive, and you are not wasting your time doing theory, watching videos, or doing written tests.

Also means getting 'certified' in reason is quicker, and you can spend extra days just diving and gaining the all important experience.

All PADI centres support this Referral method of OW.

13. Nick SR

Nick SR Member

Thanks for the welcome guys and for answering my questions.

I have another, relating to the one of the replies i got.

How is it best to practise equalising my ears to ensure i'm ok with that when we get there?

Nick

14. Argonaut

Argonaut Member

Practising equalising when not in water .. unless you are going up & down mountains I can't see will be much help.
    However anytime you are in a pool start equalising as soon as you go under.
    In open water equalise within first 2m, if you leave it until you 'feel the need' it can sometimes take effort to equalise, and that can lead to problems.
    Equalise early & often on teh way down.

It is better to do a feet first descent if possible, as that is supposed to assist east equalisation .. and I try to do that when possible.
    A slow feet first descent will aid you in getting to grips with buoyancy control while you are learning, and when you see people hurtling past you headfirst at a rate of knots ... just think to yourself how over-weighted they are.

There is no need except when on negative entries to do this.

15. rainbowannie

rainbowannie New Member

It does help - honest. When I started I couldn't clear both ears properly - one would go but not the other. Just practice pinching your nose and blowing through it and you will feel your ears clear exactly as you would underwater. There is an article somewhere on the internet about the benefits of training ears that are unaccustomed to doing this 'exercise' before you hit the water. Sorry, I don't remember where I found it though. Having experienced the nausea of unbalanced ears I promise it's not as daft as it sounds. Just try it a couple of times a day for about a week before you start diving - it made a huge difference to me.

16. horses45

horses45 New Member

Hi nic you will love it diving in greece i'm off thier end of april and i'm going for my first dive in warm water so i say enjoy and welcome to UKD :thumbup:

17. Baz

Baz Active Member

I agree with Annie i regularly do this on the surface usually sitting in traffic to and from work.

Here is the link I think you were talking about from DAN

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/download/DiversGuidetoEars.pdf

18. rainbowannie

rainbowannie New Member

19. Argonaut

Argonaut Member

new one on me ... I fly almost every week, perhaps the practise there has been enough :)

20. Baz

Baz Active Member

I think it very much depends on your tubes, some people can equalize with just a swallow others require a variety/combination of methods.

If you do have issues with equalizing it does become easier the more the dives you do.