1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi I'm new

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Argonaut, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Argonaut

Argonaut Member

Well I not new - quite well used actually.

Just joined and thought I would say hello.
    I live in Wales - you know the country that trashed all comers in Rugby recently :)

Started my diving in 1974 learning with Sibe Gorman twin hose regs, when we used to make our own wetsuits from bits bought from Exchange & Mart.
    When casting your own lead weights was part of the learning curve for new BSAC divers.

After a few years .. college, beer, sex became more important and diving phased out.

Years later .. my son came to age where he was good at snorkelling - and I then restarted diving under PADI auspices.
    I will admit to be a 30:30 diver, 30 degrees temp, 30m viz and usually no more than 30m depth.
    Most certainly a single tank no deco guy.

My best dives so far ...
    2 of us having Thistlegorm to ourselves for 2 dives
    Zenobia - Cyprus
    Blue Hole - Gozo
    Cenote caves - Mexico
    Yolonda reef - Ras Mohammed
    Tiran island reefs

My kit ..
    Mares X-Vision liquid skin mask
    Mares Avant Quattro fins
    AquaLung Titan Lx supreme regs
    Suunto console
    Tiguillio T52 Hover BCD
    Suunto Vyper
    various wetsuits ... & just ordered a Whites Fusion dry suit
    Fuji F31fd camera & housing

2. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

Welcome argonaut,

you will find this site quite entertaining there is a real eclectic mix of divers from the dead serious one to the will have fun what ever the situation. as for kit good choice in computer & BCD.

Where in the land of the leaks do you hail from there hasbecome a little invasion lately of your country folk.

3. Argonaut

Argonaut Member

Born just outside wedlock, brought up in Swansea, currently live between Swansea & Neath.
    Things are looking up in Wales .. resurgence of the mining industry .. well I heard they found some copper in North Wales.

4. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forums, Argonaut. Very interesting to note that you have dived the Cenotes in the Yucatan. My wife and I have booked to go there in December and are looking forward to it. I'm off to Maldives tomorrow, but will have a chat about Cenotes after I return in 3 weeks.

5. sazza

sazza New Member

lmao....welcome :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

6. Tom

Tom New Member

Welcome and enjoy.

Tom

7. Argonaut

Argonaut Member

Sure .... I have put some video clips on line .... nothing professional but gives an idea

http://www.esnips.com/web/Argonaut-ScubaDiving

8. Coldhands

Coldhands New Member

Welcome Argonaut
    The bit about making your own wetsuit brought back memories. My dad dived in the '70's and was going to take me out with him. Made the wetsuit, started shopping for kit (no online in those days!) when my mum found out and had a hissy fit, convinced we were both going to drown horribly. Bit frustrating when I found out I could have been diving for the last 30-odd years.

9. Argonaut

Argonaut Member

Rolls of Neoprene, tins of solvent glue, and then glue on yellow seam tape afterwards.

Fins & masks were rubber - no Silicon then.

10. Bobco

Bobco Active Member

Hi M8 you must be almost as old as me[attachment=144]

[attachment=145] welcome to the forum

11. rainbowannie

rainbowannie New Member

At last - I have a near neighbour on the forum!!!! :thumbup:

Where between Swansea & Neath? I'm mid way between Carmarthen and Llanelli, so literally just down the road.

If you ever fancy a dip at St Brides, just give me a shout ;)

12. Argonaut

Argonaut Member

Jersey Marine ....
    I have just ordered a dry-suit, so I would like to take you up on that offer.
    I dived Stackpole last Oct ... that was the last time I got wet down West, 4' waves, damn cold and viz less than 6" !

I have my own boat (no Ocean going liner) but I put that in at Mumbles most weekends of the summer - if you want a dive off Gower, welcome to come along. :D

13. rainbowannie

rainbowannie New Member

Sounds good...what's Gower like for diving?

14. Argonaut

Argonaut Member

Wet ...
    Cold ...
    Murky ...

Very weather dependant, if you can get a day with good viz then you can have good dives.
    As the area is built on individual bays, very much depends on wind direction.
    Lots of divers go for Oxwich & Brandy Cove after lobsters, scallops etc.
    Swansea bay has huge numbers of oysters, and very sizable mussel beds - for those that like to fill nets.

There are a number of wrecks .. but not much left to see.
    My neighbour has been lucky, he has a pair of muskets he found on a wreck dive at Oxwich point.

West is certainly more popular for diving, although the Sea Search crowd seem to enjoy hours of looking through magnifying glasses muck diving around Gower.