1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi guys

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by BlueTrin, Sep 30, 2018.

1. BlueTrin

BlueTrin New Member

just started diving a few months ago, I am inexperienced with only 20 dives and a PADI AOW.

I almost had given up on signing up until I read that someone else managed to login via Google on a laptop.

Currently the catchpa does not load and you cannot login via Google+ on a phone.

splinter likes this.
  2. splinter

splinter Active Member

Hi and welcome.

Whereabouts are you based and where are you diving?

This is a good place for advice and finding buddies or trips, if that's what you're after.

Tim.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

Welcome aboard Blue.

BlueTrin likes this.
  4. BlueTrin

BlueTrin New Member

Well, I live in London, so not so great to dive unless you like the local reservoir/lake (Wraysbury) :)

I plan to join a local BSAC club so I can join diving trips and I can maybe try to do the Dive Leader training so I can plan my own dives.

splinter likes this.
  5. splinter

splinter Active Member

I know the feeling about nowhere local to dive, I'm in Sheffield so it's a trek to anywhere diveable on the coast.

I joined a BSAC club in Scarborough, about a 2 hour drive. I've not done any training with them, but I've done more dives in the 18 months since I joined than in the previous 3 years.

6. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Stoney, 1hr 40, Capernwray, 2hr, Anglesey 2hr, Vivian 2hr, Eccy Delph 1hr 40. But as you, Splinter, BSAC is giving me opportunities to dive - Stoney tomorrow, Buoyancy & trim workshop Sunday in Capernwray.

splinter likes this.
  7. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Hell fins?

8. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

Where abouts in London? I've only ever heard good things about Hellfins if you're in central london, and Clidive also seem really good (I did a course with them a few weeks ago).

9. BlueTrin

BlueTrin New Member

I am with Clidive now, doing a sports diver. I am gonna have to learn the BSAC 88 tables this week :)

I did a PADI dry suit intro, looking for a dry suit, because I have weird measurements I was thinking of buying a custom made one.

Looking at Otter and Seaskin, they are both really expensive :(

NickPicks likes this.
  10. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Hate to break it to you but Seaskin are among the cheaper brands out there. Drysuits are simply expensive

BlueTrin likes this.
  11. BlueTrin

BlueTrin New Member

Yea I noticed, I think both Seaskin and Otter are some of the best quality/price ratio out there.

12. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

As they say, chalk and cheese on prices. Otter the cheapest you can get is £850, not made to measure, Seaskin only make made to measure and the starting point is £426. I added a replaceable neck seal, convenience zip (waste of money!), lots of bits and pieces and base underwear and a thinsulate 125 undersuit and the whole lot was a smidgen under £900. It is comfortable and doesn't leak. To date, 30 dives, therefore £30/dive but another 30 planned in the next six months and so on - if you look after them, they will last.

#12 JohnL, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    BlueTrin likes this.
  13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

First drysuit’s always frought. Buy expensive and don’t use it or buy cheap and upgrade later.

I bought cheap - a Northern Diver neoprene suit then upgraded a couple of years later. Good news is I’ve a spare drysuit if my main suit fails (as long as I remember to bring it!)

Good luck and have fun.

BlueTrin likes this.