1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi everyone

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by John F, Jan 10, 2018.

1. John F

John F Member

I am a 55 year old, from Haslemere Surrey.
    I have been diving since 2000 with a couple of years off around 2011. I have done most of my diving around the south coast and Cornwall, with a trip to the Red Sea and four to the Maldives. I am qualified as PADI ape with deep, wreck and nitrox and an interest in getting into tec to do longer dives. I run my own business building and running historic race cars, sounds good but gets in the way of diving during the best part of the year, as most weekend are spent at circuits around Europe.
    John F

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Welcome John - a long-term Surrey resident, we moved to East Anglia 10 years ago and shortly move to Cheshire. Your business sounds wonderful for a petrol head, but as all jobs the reality is different.

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Welcome John. Sounds rather exciting even though living out of a suitcase gets exceedingly tedious.

There is lots of winter diving although a lot of it does involve lakes and quarries. Dive boats do go out all year with the weather playing a major part in cancellations and poor conditions. Temperature isn't too much of an issue with descent drysuits and underclothes keeping one toastie warm - suit heaters are rather good for freezing lakes!

What sort of kit do you have? What's been your best/worst dive to date?

4. John F

John F Member

Hi Wibble,
    I have a single 15 setup for holidays, and a twin 12 for everything else. An o3 dry suit so used to cold lakes, I use scuba pro mk25 and s600 in the 15 setup and Apex ATX on the twins.
    Worst dive, probably most frustrating, the M2 with about .5 M vis. One of my favourite uk dives was the train wreck just of st Ives, but no boats run down that way now.
    My kit is in for service at the moment, when I get it back I will be straight to NDAC, for a bit of practice.
    John

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Ah, NDAC. Hours of fun! Hopefully see you there. If you're really lucky there's Wraysbury; more life though.

6. John F

John F Member

Hi Wibble,
    Did a couple of Good dives at Vobster about a week before Christmas, but not been to wraysbury for about a year.

7. Tewdric

Tewdric Member

Welcome John. I'm local to NDAC so you'll probably bump into me at some point!

I want to do that PADI APE course it sounds great. Is there much monkeying around involved?

8. John F

John F Member

Hi Tewdric,
    I quite fancy the Ape course, sounds like fun. it was meant to be Aow but the spell checker on my phone changed it, that's my excuse anyway.
    I will let you know next time i am at NDAC, would be nice to put some faces to the names on here.
    John.

9. speed098

speed098 Member

APE !

With the seemingly endless cards and certificates PADI offer maybe this is the new one for those who do 5 or more online courses :woot:

Advanced
    Padi
    E-learner

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

That's like the master diver loyalty card? As opposed to the divemaster shop assistant?

So it's Go-APE!

In all seriousness, are the PADI online courses good? E-lerning can be horribly tedious compared with a book (IMHO).

11. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Or

Additional
    Payment
    Essential

Wibble likes this.
  12. speed098

speed098 Member

I have not done an E-learning course either with Padi or SSI yet, have looked more at SSI ones, but I think it is what you are used to. I am happy with either but with a slight preference for a book being much quicker to cross reference flicking between pages. I can image a lot of the younger divers being more used to E-learning as that is what they know. My kids did a lot of online stuff at school rather than text books, both have some large advantages and disadvantages so I see the benefit of a balanced mix of both.

I think though we may be giving Padi too many ideas for making more money :greedy:

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I did a TDI one and found it a bit frustrating. The content wasn't bad, it was more the whole e-learning experience which I had issues with.

Example: it's very linear and not indexed. So in chapter 6 you want to review something from chapter 5, you've got to do a lot of clicking. You can't jump forwards from your furthest completed point either. Also there's review questions which, as ever, get tedious as it's often language-dependent; if you get it wrong, then you have to re-do the chapter.

Oh, and bloody session timeouts. Go off and research something and your 15mins(?) means you've got to log on and click umpteen links to get back to where you were.

A book allows me to go backwards and forwards as necessary and write in the margins. I will often skim-read the book first, then re-read it later.

I originally signed up for the e-learning version thinking it'll be a PDF. Won't make that mistake again.

And I can keep the book forever. E-learning is only available for a year?