1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey all!

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by ScottWarr, May 10, 2019.

1. ScottWarr

ScottWarr New Member

Hello everyone, finally joining after a long time watching from the shadows....

So I'm Scott, I'm a PADI AI who has been diving since 2004 and have worked at various dive clubs and schools. The teaching aspect can be immensely rewarding but since stepping away from it I have tried to focus on my own diving and improving myself.

It's fair to say that ethical issues got in the way of me continuing to teach, as well as the financial. Luckily I now have an adult job after completing my education so actually getting to dive is amazing! I think this community has really valid points from every aspect of diving, and I hope that I can contribute in the future!

So look forward to meeting you all, whether it be online or (hopefully) at a dive-site somewhere :)

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Welcome, where are you based?

3. ScottWarr

ScottWarr New Member

Thank you! I'm in Colchester at the moment, but really looking to explore everything the UK has to offer. The only place I've dived in the last 3 years is Gildy unfortunately, mostly on teaching dives (so 6 m platform, bus, 6 m platform)

4. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I used to be in East Anglia and, having visited Gildy, decided that the extra miles to Stoney were worthwhile. :smuggrin

5. ScottWarr

ScottWarr New Member

You are incredibly correct! Sadly the school that I used to work with used it exclusively, so I'm now a Gildy expert (things you hope you never come true) haha

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Is there much diving on the Suffolk coast? The Thames is basically out of the question as the water's generally so rank. Good for sailing though, with loads of nice sailin places not far from you.

East Kent diving's quite good, loads off of the Goodwins -- I generally dive with Mutiny Divers out of Dover. Good outfit.

What kind of kit do you normally dive in when not teaching? Twinset, sidemount, single+pony? Who do you normally dive with?

7. ScottWarr

ScottWarr New Member

Not really much in Suffolk/Essex sadly. I know of some dives in the Blackwater estuary but it has to be perfect conditions for the last few weeks - mostly they are research dives.

Planning on exploring Kent asap, thanks for the tip!

And I'm usually diving a DIR inspired single tank, but looking to move to a twinset asap now that I have the time to actually go diving for me :)

8. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Of course, a little further away, you have the North Norfolk Chalk Reef, in which you are lucky to get below 8m but is a fun dive at slack water with lots of fish, crabs and the odd lobster. I've dived off Sheringham and East Runton beaches; there are several other sites.
    North Norfolk is like stepping back in time, so worth a trip on a nice summer day with an easy dive thrown in.

ScottWarr likes this.
  9. ScottWarr

ScottWarr New Member

It's been on my list for a while now! I think if the weather's right there can be some good stuff around here, it's just timing it which I'm not so experienced at lol

10. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

Welcome aboard Scott, Im in Canvey so not far from you, south coast is where I always go, Maverick, Channel Diver, 125 are the boats to use all good skippers and good wreck diving.

11. John F

John F Active Member

Hi Scott, I think Leeb2018 is quite close to you, he is always up for a dive.
    I am just south of Guildford, so go along the south coast, Dorset, Cornwall, and do NDAC and Vobster quite a bit.
    John