1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Please: Hollis SMB

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by furryman, Jul 30, 2018.

1. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

While on hols las week, the inflator valve for my nice big Hollis SMB fell out, never to be seen again.
    Does anyone know whether these can be sourced as a spare part? This is the metal no-lock bit.
    https://www.simplyscuba.com/products/hollis-surface-marker-buoy

Probably looking at @Tel for advice here - sounds like your sort of thing!

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

How new is it? I'd class this as a defect and should be replaced under warranty.

3. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

When you say the metal bit, do you mean the whole lot including what's hidden by the plastic stem
    of just the nipple bit back to the first locknut?

If it's the first bit you might get away with this as I believe from memory (will need to check)
    it's the same fitting..
    https://www.divestock.com/xdeep-metal-end-part-for-dsmb-inflator

Not so good on the second bit though as this is plastic, but I would suspect the black plastic
    collar will screw onto the same metal fitting on yours. Failing that could also take out what metal
    remains in yours and push this whole new fitting in the tube.

I doubt if yours is the first one that fell out, so might be worth contacting a Hollis dealer like
    SimplyScuba. The distribution network is a bit flaky at the moment as it's got a new UK distributor,
    but SS should have a pile of spares somewhere I reckon.

#3 Tel, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  4. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Cheers Guys. The SMB is a couple of years old, so I wouldn't think they would countenance a warranty claim. It's just that it's mine, and its nice, and it's my favourite.... And I don't fancy spending 50quid on the back of a metal widget.

I bought it from SS, so I might give them a bell, failing that, the X-Deep nozzle looks appropriate. (And yes, it was the whole thing that poppedd off - I suspect that the back pressure wasn't being released by the dump valve as it ascended, so it was pushed off in its entirity, and the blob was well floppy when I met it again.)

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

When you repair it do what Halcyon do - shrinkwrap it.