1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helmet torches - which ones?

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Wibble, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Want to bungee a couple of backup torches to my helmet so I can use them whilst working with my hands (e.g. tying off lines). Looks like the Underwater Kinetic torches are the better option because they're "flat"

Been looking at the mini Q40s:
    * Cheap (yellow) mk 1 - £30 - Amazon
    * Expensive (black) mk2 - £60 - Amazon

Are the mk2 torches any better, given that I'll need 2 of them.

@Tribal Chestnut - which torches do you have lashed to your helmet? What about other overhead divers?

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Dive with a team and that way your teammates can light things for you

JohnL and Wibble like this.
  3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

One example where that's a bit difficult is where you're winding in a (long) line. Need to be behind the other divers but with either a clipped off torch, or where you're holding both the spool and the torch's Goodman handle, the beam is off to one side and not illuminating your reel.

As we progress into places with worse visibility or tighter passages -- as is more normal for UK caving -- it'll become more important to go for head-mounted lighting. Similarly for walking between sumps (or even down to the dive site) where a clipped-off umbilical diving torch is completely the wrong tool for the job.

I love the idea of a Dive Scurion, but they're expensive and recently having just blown a wedge on a NW7 head, the budget's a consideration. Even with a helmet-mounted primary light, one still needs a couple of backup torches bungeed to the helmet.

4. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Q40 or SL4 are both ideal. The SL4 with its swing switch on the front is quicker and easier to use with gloves hands I think. Also, harder to twist the head the wrong way and flood if you’re prone to confusion (though I have never done it, I’ve seen it happen).

Get the eLED versions. Much brighter and whiter than the bulbs and I think last longer.

5. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

Wibble likes this.
  6. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Mini Q40s, LED, but old fashioned twist-on. Not had any problems with them rotating on the helmet instead of switching on.

Had an ND copy with a tail switch, however it (the switch) fell off.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Is the SL4 with its 4x 'C' sized batteries a bit heavy on the head compared with the Q40 with its 4x 'AA' batteries?

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Leeb2018 likes this.
  9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Now to sort out the dry caving helmet torch. Need to get an old Petzl Duo head torch so I can rip the guts out and replace it with a CustomDuo module

10. joe90

joe90 Member

Or fork out a little more cash and get something you can use for both. Much easier :)

Guess it depends how much you do of each though.

Sent from my HUAWEI TIT-AL00 using Tapatalk

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I've found two options for dedicated helmet dive torches that can be used dry: the £800 Scurion and the £500 Phaeton. Will see how things work out this year with my underground adventures.

12. joe90

joe90 Member

I have a Phaethon. Can't complain at all. Really like it, however it could do with a battery level indicator on demand. Before I used a Duo with a custom duo insert (v5).

Scurions are very nice too. Bit more pricey, but you do have options for service in the UK. The Phaethon goes back to Greece. I spent quite a bit of time speaking to Phaethon users before buying. I found one person who had a bad experience with service, and a few people telling me of that persons experience. Overall the feedback was very good. Which is what I would say from my contact with them too.

One of the big sellers for the Phaethon is that you can buy any (unprotected) 18650's. Its not got a custom battery pack.

Where are you based? maybe we could meet for a cave/dive and you can play with it.

J

13. joe90

joe90 Member

This is the Phaethon for size.

J[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

That does look really nice. Need to see how my underground exploits develop before investing larg(ish) wedges.

Based in the chalk-ridden South East near Brighton, so need to travel for anything underground.

15. joe90

joe90 Member

Okay, whilst in the UK I'm based in Devon. I'm away now in Oman till the end of April but I'm happy to travel for a cave/dive and you can see what you think.

One thing I really like is that the light is not heavy at all.

J

16. Daniel

Daniel Active Member
    UKD Supporter

One of my cave diving mates sware by mini Q40’s

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Dived with a couple of Ammonite torches bungees to the helmet yesterday. Worked well especially when tying off the line, etc.

The new Q40s should arrive this week.

18. Daniel

Daniel Active Member
    UKD Supporter

I use two ammonite led ones on my helmet and they are great, however more than double the price

19. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Do you have no issues with them rotating as you switch them on?

I’ve seen people use non-slip tape to try and help.

20. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Do you have any issues with the bottom of your helmet (the shell or headband) fouling the top of your mask, thus forcing you to wear it lower than normal?

Do you use the same helmet for caving? Or do you have a second one for that?