1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello there!

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by phantomlurker, Jul 26, 2017.

1. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

Hi All,
    just thouht i'd post a quick intro in here as you are likely to see me asking questions in various other threads.
    I'm a PADI OW-qualified noob (beginning of July with Andark) with a ton of questions, some second-hand kit and the usual weight and trim related issues!

I have done BSAC training in the past although never followed through to get ocean diver, and after a 12 year sabbatical I have finally passed the requirements to hire gas and kit and try not to need a 999 call...

I'm based in Southampton - I've had a couple of visits to Vobster, and am heading to NDAC in about 3 weeks time with a vastly more experience pal, looking forward to seeing some new sights.

Anyway, enough from me, I look forward to picking the collective brains of all in here.

Ian

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Welcome, Ian - NDAC is the most fun for the return to the car park up a rough track backwards at speed in an old bus. The diving's not bad too.:whistling:

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Welcome to the forum Ian. Andark's a great bunch to learn with.

4. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

Thanks for the welcomes, i've been having a good lurk around the site and there's some great info on here!
    @JohnL That sounds...interesting?? Is it mandatory? I'm not one for rollercoasters :yuck:
    @Wibble They certainly were a good team, and I had a lot of fun with the instructors and DMs, wholeheartedly recommend them. Even if the lake was "somewhat murky" below about 5m!

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

NDAC's a great place to dive, certainly my favourite inland site. Lots to explore and play on at all depths.

It's a great hobby that's literally out of this world; weightlessness and floating in three dimensions; still gives me a great buzz.

6. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

7. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Welcome.

The sea is great and I often sea Andark vans at Chesil so if you travel with them you might find it worth a visit, and more interesting than diving a puddle.

Here's my last video from Chesil

but if you want to see what the Chesil junkies produce then checkout the videos of these two

8. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

@Vanny hiya right back!

@Dave Whitlow thanks for those videos, they are really great. If you don't mind may I ask what you filmed it with? Please don't say a go pro, the bank manager is already frowning in my direction... I'm a bit gutted actually, I was supposed to be at chesil this past Sunday with Andark, but due to the weather we headed to Vobster instead. Along with EVERYBODY else. Had some fun but bored of being kicked in the face! Will definitely get to Chesil soon though.

@Wibble I'm looking forward to exploring NDAC, luckily my mate knows it very well and is happy to give me the grand tour (of the shallows). I'm loving the weightlessness, but only just getting to the stage of looking beyond my buddy/guide to actually appreciate my surroundings. But any lake with aircraft in it is of interest to me!

9. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Sorry @phantomlurker all three of us were using GoPros and lights may have were involved. If you look at the youtube channels of the other two you'll see lots of videos of Chesil Cove and Newtons Cove. Their efforts are much better than mine and they dive there more often and it is the type of diving they enjoy most.

Maybe you didn't get there this time but Chesil isn't going anywhere soon so there will be other chances. It can be dived at any state of the tide, although entry and exit are easier when the tide is low. East and northeast winds generally leave the sea calm, unless there is a swell travelling from somewhere. You can get a view of what is actually happening further along the beach by looking at the readings from this buoy http://www.channelcoast.org/data_management/real_time_data/charts/?chart=68&tab=waves&disp_option
    and see the forecast here https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/Chesil_Beach

10. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

There are other types than gopro. I have a Veho Muvi K2 that seems to have similar quality at less cost - the only downside is that to go below 10m, you need to use a case (supplied with the standard extensive extras) which makes it a bit larger and good for 100m.

11. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

I had a sneaky suspicion that you were going to say that! I've been looking at options for the last while, but never quite had a good enough argument to persuade the finance department to release the required funds. Especially if lights were necessary! Maybe I should show her the videos...

@JohnL That could be an option, i've looked at the ultra knock-off cameras on amazon, but am unconvinced by some of the 5 star but not very coherent reviews, and I have other things to put cash towards (diving!). The Muvi may offer another option in beteween though for further consideration.

I am looking forward to Chesil, and will definitely get there - tbh most of my friends/colleagues (including warm water divers) are non-plussed as to why you would go diving there. I may have to show more people those videos!

Cheers
    Ian

12. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I've a friend that really rates the SJCam cameras too

phantomlurker likes this.
  13. Dale Martin

Dale Martin Member

+1 for the SJCam and if you buy via their eBay shop sjcam.cn they have stock in the uk and the customer service is excellent if you need it.

phantomlurker likes this.
  14. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

OK, at the risk of this devolving into a camera thread, any recommendations on models? And what is the usual placement for attachment? I really don't want it getting in the way (most important) or obscured by exhaust (least important), and I'm not going to be a videographer - i just want to show her indoors the things I've been doing...

15. Dale Martin

Dale Martin Member

I don't have video lights and pretty much only use it for my own entertainment and to show my wife (who bought my open water as a surprise 40th present) what I've been up to. I got the sj5000x and sometimes use it with the included wrist mount and sometimes on a selfie stick. The camera would benefit from a tray and some dedicated lights, as would any camera, but for my purposes I find it more than adequate and better than some of the other action cams I own. I use the 1080p 60fps setting exclusively.
    This is some footage that I took at capernwray whilst using the wrist mount just after I'd got it

It's not great and would benefit from white balancing in some editing software but it does give an idea of the quality available when you just click record and forget about it whilst getting on with the dive.

Please also bear in mind that this was my first open water dive post certification although I've used action cams whilst freediving in the past (although I've always called it snorkelling )

16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

:joyful:

Dale Martin likes this.
  17. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

@Dale Martin thanks for the video, looks like a fun dive, and a bit more stable than I was on my first post-cert dive! The wrist mount sounds like a good option, would encourage good posture.

Tbh though i think I'm probably best off just leaving it for a while until I'm better in the water, I have more important things to concentrate on. Plenty of time for videos later!

Thanks

Dave Whitlow and Dale Martin like this.
  18. Dale Martin

Dale Martin Member

Bizarrely I actually won a freediving competition whilst on holiday in the Maldives in 2000 which was run by the local dive centre. We had to descend on a line to 10m on the edge of the island reef and stay on the bottom for as long as possible before ascending to the surface. There were safety divers on hand so it didn't seem dangerous at the time. The instructor at the centre usually won (I found out after) and boy was he pissed when I surfaced with a time of 5:10 and he'd managed just shy of 4 minutes. When they were touting for people to join the competition the former Mrs Martin volunteered me with the comment "he likes a bit of snorkelling". I wish I was still that fit and used as little air....

19. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

Jesus, 5 minutes? That's some epic breath-holding there! I can imagine the local was NOT impressed at being outshone...
    What was the prize? !

20. Dale Martin

Dale Martin Member

A day out snorkelling for the top 3 & partners on a deserted island where the reef was pretty pristine. It was only really run for the island guests and those of the sister hotels nearby.
    I started swimming lessons when I was 4 and it felt like I was pretty much living in a pool when I started swimming competitively at the age of 10. The only reason I was attracted to scuba was due to fitness levels dropping off and being able to stay under for shorter and shorter times whilst snorkelling. Now I've got the scuba bug I'm trying to build my fitness back up but it's slow going after spending so many years sat at a desk with my body atrophying...