1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello from Herts!

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Loreto, Nov 30, 2019 at 9:17 PM.

1. Loreto

Loreto New Member

Hi all,

Ex warm-water diver migrated over the past two years to the delights of the UK and loving it. Mainly south coast at the moment but hoping to venture all around the British Isles bit by bit. Winter diving mostly at Stoney / Wraysbury. Currently planning my dives & training for 2020 / 21 ...

Wished I'd started UK diving much earlier - so much amazing life and interesting stuff in the waters here.

Loving the forums for the advice and experience of everyone here, looking forward to learning lots!

2. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

3. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome. South coast is a good place to be and Chesil is starting to settle. It isn't clear enough for diving (a bit brown) but I might venture in for a swim tomorrow.

My first UK dive was in February in Littleton Pit (is that still available?) and I did a lot of training in Stoney and enjoyed crayfish gathering in Wraysbury. If that is what is available then enjoy your diving.

What training are you feeling you need? Have you joined a club yet?

4. John F

John F Active Member

5. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

Welcome to the forum... Stoney is my winter haunt as well.. remarkably viz is actually quite decent (by Stoney standards) as long as you avoid the pit lol

6. splinter

splinter Active Member

Hi and welcome.

Tell us a bit more about your training plans for next year.

Tim

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

7. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

Welcome! I'm also from Herts (Hemel Hempstead).

My club also do a fair bit of diving at the south coast, and we are often unsuccessful at avoiding Stoney / Wraysbury.

8. Loreto

Loreto New Member

Hi all,

Many thanks all for the warm welcome!

Dave/Tim:

In terms of training I’m really looking at safety and just a bit of widening of technical skills.

So it’s really getting in the water more in a wider range of UK sea conditions, skills and exercises and increasing general competence.

Course wise I’ll be refreshing my EFR, doing PADI oxygen provider speciality. For increasing skills I’m looking at twinset / side mount initially and most likely IANTD Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures later on. Then a bit of a consolidation period in 2021 if I decide to go that route in terms of buying kit etc, before considering what next.

I have joined my local PADI club and will be using their weekly pool sessions as much as possible.

NickPicks:

What club is that in Hemel please? Sounds like that might be useful

9. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

It's Dacorum Sub Aqua Club - find us on facebook here or the web here (or PM me for more details)
    We meet on Thursdays in the centre of Hemel Hempstead.

We're a BSAC club, but have several members with PADI qualifications, and you'd be welcome to dive with us as a PADI diver.
    Next steps of training wise: BSAC's "First Aid for Divers" and "Oxygen Administration" courses should (I think) be broadly similar to EFR/Oxygen Provider, and we can run both those within our club.

10. Loreto

Loreto New Member

Thanks for that, I've looked at the details and that might work for me. Have emailed your membership secretary (Neil?) to see if I can arrange a visit as that seems to be the process. Might see you soon!

NickPicks likes this.
  11. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Welcome, Loreto

I've done several courses at my BSAC club and found the training better than PADI and considerable cheaper - I migrated to BSAC from PADI. It depends, of course, on your club - ours has an ethos of providing a lot of training and the volunteers to do it. It also encourages regularly refreshing skills.

It pays to ask questions before joining a club - the website is a good place to get a feel of how good a club is likely to be.