1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello all

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Globetrotter, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Globetrotter

Globetrotter New Member

About 17 years ago my wife and I were sitting on a beach on our honeymoon in Antigua and we saw a group of people climbing into a small boat loaded with dive kit. I said to my wife, "I wouldn't mind having a go at that" and she replied, "I've done that in Australia!". That settled it, I was off down the beach to the Dive Shack and after a 40 minute pool session that afternoon, I discovered I could breathe underwater!!
    The next day we were both on that small boat and after a 30 minute dive in the clearest water on a beautiful little reef I was hooked!
    A year later during my final few months in HM Forces I went down to Falmouth to the Cornish Diving Centre and did the PADI Open Water and Advanced Diver courses and loved every minute of it!

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Welcome to the forum.

Where do you normally dive these days?

3. Globetrotter

Globetrotter New Member

Thanks for the welcome, Wibble!
    I didn't get a chance to finish my intro and I couldn't edit my post, as far as I can tell?
    My dive history is pretty poor, as after qualifying in Falmouth, finding a new job took priority. Unfortunately, the aviation industry took a massive hit due to 911, so finding a job in my profession was a tad more challenging! We even toyed with the idea of buying a dive school, but after looking at a couple for sale here in the UK and one in Spain, quickly realised we might not be ready for that sort of challenge!
    So, fast forward to 2016 and two more career jobs later, we decide to dip our toes in the dive industry again and set up our own school.
    Well, we gave it a good go but life has a habit of getting in the way of dreams, so, as of this year have decided to put it on hold.
    So Wibble, the short answer to your question is, local swimming pools!

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Life is very much like that. Goodness knows where we'll end up. The usual rules apply though: whatever we do there's always the nagging suspicion that things would be different if only... But hey ho, it's what we have now that counts.

One of the big questions for an 'ex' professional is do you still like it? UK diving can be fun, but again, is it better "over there" where it's warm and clear and colourful and easy....

5. Globetrotter

Globetrotter New Member

Good question! My answer can be summed up using a military doctrine; train hard, fight (work) easy!
    I didn't want to learn where it was 'warm, clear, colourful and easy, although after completing a challenging deep dive in Falmouth channel I wished I was back in the Caribbean!