1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helicopter lift

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Dave Whitlow, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yesterday, we dived the Salsette (46m) and someone had a moment and ended up on the surface much sooner than optimal. They seemed to be fine but went away for recompression.

However, as conditions were good, I recorded the helicopter lift as I felt people who've not seen one might like to see it. It is a mixture of images and videos and I think you will need to manually work through it.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/rndiver/53v574

#1 Dave Whitlow, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  2. splinter

splinter Active Member

Thanks for posting that. I've only ever seen it from a distance. The skill and sheer balls these guys and girls have is amazing.

Hope the casualty was ok.

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

They really do make it look very slick, a lot of skill there that is often taken for granted.

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  4. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Haven't had any feedback about the casualty but symptoms were suppressed by O2 so I expect a few hours in the chamber (okay at least 5 or 6) will have fixed her.

I sometimes think I've seen the SAR team in action too many times but each time I am awed by their excellence.

When I lived in Castletown, near the Portland SAR base (before it closed), I'd sometimes watch them practice manoeuvring a 10 ton helicopter to bring a bag within inches of the target. Seeing the training it was good to see (watch that video again for this) the winchman (woman this time) didn't stretch to gather the weight but instead waited for the bag to come to her.

I imagine our incident was like a practice to them as they do this stuff at night in a howling gale in a mad sea and still get it right.

A good example of serious action was MV Murree when, in a force 11 gale. they rescued all 40 of the 14 crew before the ship sank and became a dive site. Nice dive too if you get there, although the gill net over the accommodation block is off-putting (I have a thing about nets). There's a swimming pool on it too. Whilst my length of the pool wasn't timed I do remember pictures :D

splinter likes this.
  5. Chimpus

Chimpus Member

Very impressive skills and great to see close up like that.
    Thanks for sharing

6. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

Thanks for sharing - all the bits they did reminded me of the Dive Leader / PRM lectures (dipping the cable in the sea before touching the boat with it, etc.)

7. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

That winch isn't slow is it? :eek: