1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heading South...

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by Polly, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Polly

Polly Active Member

I know this is similar to the UK coastal diving thread but I'm looking for slightly more specific info.

My mate lives in Dartford and is qualified to DM but up until now has been a warm-water soft-lad when it comes to diving. He's missing the water though and just asked if I'd be interested in diving with him in the summer.

Anyone know of any coastal dive sites within reasonable driving distance? We'll probably do St Abbs and Farnes sometime in the summer when he comes to stay with me for a weekend, and he's looking into getting time off work for Porthkerris but for now we could do with a few ideas about where to go a bit more locally...

So - details of dive sites please!

Ta! (I know you guys won't let me down - faster than google most days!)

2. purple vonny

purple vonny New Member

Well if you head on down to Swanage with him and go under the pier, it's only about 5 metres deep and teeming with life so that's a nice intro to UK diving.

And if you want to go a bit further, we have some lovely diving around Weymouth........ Even shore dives off Chesil Beach can be very pretty and colourful. That should convert him.
    Here are some photos from last year:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Polly

Polly Active Member

That might to do the trick for now...he's dived Weymouth a while back with his Grandad so I know he likes it there. Any links / maps to specific sites?

4. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf Well-Known Member

Polly, if you're going to Darford in Kent, I have heard that there is a "sunken village" somewhere there in a lake but don't know the details. Obviously, it is a freshwater dive site and might be worth checking out.

5. Polly

Polly Active Member

Ooh, that sounds like fun. He loves things like that...he'll probably try to build his own if I give him that idea....!

6. purple vonny

purple vonny New Member

I haven't looked! But if you google "diving Dorset" or similar... you'll probably get some good ones. Or PM me if you fancy coming down here, I'd be happy to dive with you. If you really want to convert him, wait 'til it warms up, it's only 10 degrees at the mo and makes your hands numb. It gets to a nice 18-ish degrees or more in the summer

http://www.ukdiving.co.uk/places/coastal/articles/portland.htm

http://www.divesitedirectory.co.uk/dive_site_uk_england_south_coast_reefs_swanage_pier.html

7. Phil O

Phil O Member

As Vonny's link - try Portland. Nice diving and great social life in the evenings in the pubs. On second thoughts .. you probably won't like that but I'm sure there is a library nearby:lol:

8. Polly

Polly Active Member

Ooh, you're funny Phil - you should be in panto! :tongue:

9. Phil O

Phil O Member

What as ? I quite fancy a dame but could be the rear end of an ass

10. sergeantpepper

sergeantpepper New Member

There is a sub out from Dover or Folkstone but can't find details of who go there, try Googling.
    I've not been on YD's for years but there was a guy I worked with who used to be on YD's called
    MattB or MattBin, if he's still on YD's PM him as he has dived the sub and can give you details.

(why can't we post more than 1 www. link per thread ?)

Not exactly Dartford but a couple of hours drive, Brighton Pier as a shore dive or

http://www.channeldiving.com/boats/boats.html

http://www.seabreeze3.co.uk/diving-trips-brighton-marina.html

http://www.divesitedirectory.co.uk/uk_england_south_coast.html

11. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf Well-Known Member

I checked on the sunken village thing a bit. It is either in Bewl Water or Bough Beach Reservoir, the latter in the Kent-Sussex border. But I don't know what state those "villages" are in at present or even if recreational diving is still allowed there (the article I found was from 2004). Might be worth checking if you are feeling a bit adventurous and want to try something different.

12. rainbowannie

rainbowannie New Member

Apparently all that remains at Bough Beach Reservoir is a humped back bridge...

13. Polly

Polly Active Member

Cheers, you guys - I'll forward him a link to this thread and no doubt he'll be skipping off to buy a cylinder at the weekend!

14. ginge

ginge New Member

beautifull cuttle`s Vonny !!!! have you ever tried slowly waving your fingers at them --- i have found that if you can come in slow and not startle them then wiggle your fingers that they are curious and will either hang around or even come closer .

15. purple vonny

purple vonny New Member

Yes I've flirted with many a cuttle!! Cute little critters - I love 'em.

16. sergeantpepper

sergeantpepper New Member

You can't dive Bewl Water, from memory it's owned by South East Water and they don't want divers pissin in it.
    You can sail or row, walk or cycle around but no swimming or diving.
    There was a BSAC club about five years ago who were allowed to dive
    a few times per year but not any longer (I think).
    3 summers ago you could probably get 5mtrs if you were lucky. How much rain have you had since then ?

If you want sunken village apparenlty there is one in the sea off Selsey, head out
    from the lifeboat Station perpendicular from the beach and it's out
    there somewhere. :confused:
    Check with the local fisho's or local records office for the exact location.

17. rainbowannie

rainbowannie New Member

You could always come to Wales....!