1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having a "funny moment"

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Alex Denny, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Hi all,

I thought I should 'fess up that I'm really annoyed with myself. Yesterday, I was on my first sea dive of the year having had a couple of blow-outs in recent weeks. The weather gods were with us, and we found ourselves on a relatively calm channel, in good visibility allowing us to dive the Holland 5 submarine wreck in about 32 of water - a dive I have done before in considerably worse conditions and really enjoyed!

Anyway - the dive started and my buddy and I were the first into the water and down the shot (after the skipper who had gone to "set the hook" to use a horrible Americanism). All started off well, but I had a bit of difficulty equalising, pausing on my descent just long enough for the line and buddy to get a bit further away from me. I finned after them and caught up, at the back of the wreck at 30m after a fairly quick descent - but my breathing was rapid after a quick fin. (I'm a fairly fit 34 year old - so this was a bit odd). I tried to get my head in gear and relax my breathing - went to do a reg exchange / test and sent up a flood of bubbles (I'm not really sure why). Anyway - I basically had a "funny moment" and struggled to relax. I signalled to my buddy that I wasn't really okay and we thumbed the dive - back on the boat after 10 minutes in otherwise great conditions.

I'm trying to analyse "what went wrong" - and the weird thing is, nothing really did! I felt bad for my buddy for messing what could have been a great dive on a lovely wreck in good conditions - on the other hand, I am glad that I didn't try and force myself to continue and then get myself into trouble.

We went on to have a great second dive on the Norman's bay cannon wreck which somewhat made up for it, but I now wonder, other than the "stop and relax" bit, what I should have / could have done.

Has anyone else had a dive that just didn't feel right, but they're not sure why? I've never thumbed a dive like that before...

Maybe I'm going barmy!

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Good to see you did thumb it. Not good to be down there when not feeling "right", ferociously digging in the "incident pit".

Even better to see that you had a good second dive.

3. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Rapid breathing - co2 buildup

Just to expand, the biggest overlooked enemy of the diver is co2.... X

4. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

...and to answer your Q yes I have in my noob days, felt quite odd - chasing after a buddy, it passed and I didn't know what it was at the time, but I do now x

Edit: not that I'm not still a noob haha x

5. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Could've been Co2 , quite poss if you let go of the shot and finned to get back on. You don't say that you did , I'm reading that into it. Working hard to get down and catch up could leave you feeling uneasy, not a natural start. I'd put it behind you and get back in soon , before the viz disappears !

I had a dive couple of weeks ago , we knew the viz wasn't great but at the bottom of the shot couldn't really see anything. Me and my buddy stayed by the shot having a conversation through rebreather hoses about what to do. Truth is I don't think either of us wanted to call it and disappoint the other. We came to an agreement and went straight back up. Another solo diver strayed inside without realising and had quite a moment. Luckily they got out ok. I must've called a dive before but honestly can't remember when. Sometimes it's just the right thing to do.

6. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

I'm fairly sure CO2 was involved. When we started back up and relaxed I felt fine and would have loved to have gone back, but the gas and profile would have made it a crap dive by then...

7. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Best dive I didn't do was when I didn't even get in the water - not comfortable and decided to take notice rather than press on. Interesting about CO2 build-up, must store away in brain.

8. Tewdric

Tewdric Member

Far better being up here wishing you were down there than down there wishing you were up here. No buddy of mine ever gets a hard time for thumbing a dive.

Zubar and splinter like this.
  9. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

CO2 build up is possible it is also much more narcotic than nitrogen so can have a double whammy. But sometimes you may just bin a dive for whatever reason it dosent matter, dive again another day.

10. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member